• Register
  • Help

Topic: Soundcard - just saved myself some money

Share/Bookmark

Soundcard - just saved myself some money

I've been struggling with my Audigy soundcard for the last 12 months - mainly latency problems and an ASIO driver that never seemed right.

I put it down to the often stated inadequacy of Soundblaster products for "pro" audio.

Having spent a fair amount of time researching new soundcards, I thought that I may as well see if there was a driver update for the Audigy [if it all went wrong I wouldn't be any worse off because I was already planning a new purchase].

Well, I found an update, installed it and my system is suddenly working nicely! - HURRAH. So far I've got latency down to 20ms using ASIO - down from 50ms using WDM - and everythings so much more tighter and accurate.

I am so happy, I just had to share this with you all.

Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Re: Soundcard - just saved myself some money

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    I've been struggling with my Audigy soundcard for the last 12 months - mainly latency problems and an ASIO driver that never seemed right.

I put it down to the often stated inadequacy of Soundblaster products for "pro" audio.

Having spent a fair amount of time researching new soundcards, I thought that I may as well see if there was a driver update for the Audigy [if it all went wrong I wouldn't be any worse off because I was already planning a new purchase].

Well, I found an update, installed it and my system is suddenly working nicely! - HURRAH. So far I've got latency down to 20ms using ASIO - down from 50ms using WDM - and everythings so much more tighter and accurate.

I am so happy, I just had to share this with you all.

Well, congratulations on your good fortune. That is why I constantly harp on the matter of updates for Audigy, even if you just bought the thing today!!! It can make such a world of difference, even on things you might not think of, and are apparently unrelated to the sound card.

So every chance you get, preach about the updates!!

Richard

Congratulations! It's great to hear of another thorny problem solved -- and with no cash outlay.

Any chance that a new driver would improve my SoundBlaster Live! card, the Audigy's long-outdated predecessor? I hate the scratchy, hissy halo over the strings that I hear with that thing. Horns, woodwinds are okay (except maybe the card is the culprit in my problem with bass clarinet). I heard GPO strings recently on a real professional's rig and they surprised me by sounding as glorious as orchestral strings should sound. So there is a weakness lurking in my system, which may be the card.

I just tried installing the kx project driver. It made no perceptible difference.

Do you folks know about the Studio Central forum? There is a lot of good information about digital audio to be found there. The webmaster, Tweak, is a very experienced audio guy who has written some informative articles on the site. In the one that treats cards, he emphasizes the importance of drivers.

The soundcard subforum is at:

http://studio-central.com/phpbb/view...295567ce02a31c

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smith

Any chance that a new driver would improve my SoundBlaster Live! card,
    Doug - it's probably worth a try. I just went to the Creative website, support section and used the update checker. The website checked my system, told me I needed some critical updates and how to install them.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Talking Re: Soundcard - just saved myself some money

Just read in this months issue of Computer Music that Creative have released a new X-Fi range of cards - meant to be the greatest thing since sliced bread as far as musicians needs go, but they are not cheap.

In the May '05 issue they also gave away a great little Rompler called CM Session - runs of a Kontatk player just like good 'ole GPO plus has some neat samples, works as both a DXi and a VSTi.

CD

Hm, nice to hear the upgrades helped you out. I have Audigy Soundblaster 2 and after downloading the upgrades it still had audio problems especially upon playback. Seems it just can't handle more than two possibly three audio tracks and never could handle playback if I added effects such as Ambience to the final mix.
    I purchased a PreSonus Fire Pod fire wire audio / midi interface and haven't had a problem since.
    Handywipes, glad to hear everything worked out for you!
    Styxx

Really? I'm using an Audigy 2 and haven't had any trouble at all of that sort.

Thanks for the tips. I downloaded and installed the update. I ssssstill hear that nassssssty ssssssssstring hisssssss. It sssssssssucksssssssss.

Where's my credit card....

Go Back to forum