• Register
  • Help

Topic: Company name?

Company name?

Hi mates,
    when you start in the industry, do you use your own names (business card, website, etc.) or do you use a company name? (IE: MYSOUNDSCOMPANY?) I think a company name is attractive, but if you don't own a company?!

Re: Company name?

If you're looking to get contract work, then you are essentially a company. It's worth it to do the 1-2 days of paperwork to set up your own company, nice and legal like.

It's more about the branding I think. A company name is a good tool to project a certain image, which you'll need if you don't have years of proven accomplishments that make that image for you.

I've done some contract work but I'm mostly inhouse so take it all with a grain of salt.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

There are many ways to go about this. And I don't know what country you're in, but this applies to the US..not sure how it works in other countries.

You could simply register with the state as a "dba" (doing business as). So, for example, John Doe d.b.a. Amazing Sound Studios. It's a small fee, and your company name is protected (only you can use it legally) but only for your state.

There are also other options.. LLC, S-corp, C-corp, all of which I have no clue about. Or you could just do business with your own name, no business name, no legal paperwork, nothing. I've been doing it for the past few years, works OK for me.
    Sam Hulick

You know, it's really up to you. If you want people to know you for your name, or you company.

Set yourself up with a small business (use your name, or make up a name). In Australia it's called Sole Trader.

There's benefits and disadvantages to both using your own name and/or business.

Your own name you can get known, but it doesnt' really have a ring to it. It's difficult to subcontract stuff, because it's under your name. If you do a bad job on something your name gets a bad rep.

Business name. Has some protection to it because it's not your name. Easier to sub-contract work. Easier to get a name with a ring to it, and can match the work your business does.
    Composer / Sound Designer / Audio Engineer

Lots of good advices as usual!! Thank you guys.

Can't you also get tax benefits by establishing your composing as a small business?

Quote Originally Posted by A_Sapp
    Can't you also get tax benefits by establishing your composing as a small business?
    You certainly can here in Australia. Every piece of equipment I buy, every audio mag, stick of ram, books on musical study or creativity - gets claimed at tax time.

My internet connection even gets claimed as my work is delivered via FTP.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -

Go Back to forum