• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Question for you guys sequencer users

Share/Bookmark

Question for you guys sequencer users

Hi gang,

Having mostly used GPO with Finale, I have a question for sequencer users. Suppose you have two projects using GPO as VST, and with some patches in common. Suppose to simplify that they both use "Flute Solo KS". When you switch from a project to the other, does your sequencer reload the GPO samples all the time, even they are the same? Or is your sequencer clever enough to keep the samples in common in memory?

Thanks
    Robert

Re: Question for you guys sequencer users

I think all programs, including GPO studio, dump all memory and reload it all. Even if you close a sequencer and open the same project again it has to reload.

I think.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because after the first day of school my brain is FRIED. I actually had to use it! (don't go OT about my first day...it's in another thread)

-Chris

I hadn't tried this before but using Sonar 4 Producer it appears that all the GPO instances are loaded seperately for each project and as I swapped between projects the appropraite samples were played correctly.

Hi Robert, I have actually recently had to experience this, having accidently wiped out a GPO instance from a piece I was working on, I thought I would just quickly load up the template again and I'd know what patch when in which slot. But if I remember correctly, Cubase SX3 dumped all the memory from the open piece, reloaded all the GPO instances. I wrote down which instruments when in which GPO slots, and ctrl-tab'bed back to the original piece. Whereupon Cubase crashed.

Well you know what they say, if you want to be a Cubase beta tester, buy Cubase. :|

HtH,
    John

I use DP and it reloads when I change projects. But, I'm a fairly new user, so maybe DP has a work around that I haven't learned yet?
    Cheers!
    Paula

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

DP does reload the GPO instances, but it is very simple to use “clippings“ to store them, so you can get them back whenever you want even in a brand new project. If anyone wants to learn details about how to do this, I‘ll be glad to post a tutorial about clippings. They are a little-used but extremely powerful feature of DP.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    DP does reload the GPO instances, but it is very simple to use “clippings“ to store them, so you can get them back whenever you want even in a brand new project. If anyone wants to learn details about how to do this, I‘ll be glad to post a tutorial about clippings. They are a little-used but extremely powerful feature of DP.

Karl
    I would definitely like to see that post! If I'm the only one, maybe you could pm me some brief instructions. Thanks so much for your offer!
    Cheers!
    Paula

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll
    I would definitely like to see that post! If I'm the only one, maybe you could pm me some brief instructions. Thanks so much for your offer!

Well, you could save your settings as a GPO preset.

Back to the original question: somewhere recently, I tested something, forgot what, and had a prompt about whether so unload the instruments when I closed a project, or was loading a new one. Might have been overture. Definitely not Sonar or Sibelius.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett

Karl
    Do It Karl. I know many of us would like to know how to do this. And, also, you write great tutorials, so we have the best to two worlds in Karl Garrett.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Another thing I'd mention on the topic is that I noticed that if you load, say, the piano in one instance and the piano again on the same instance, the piano is only loaded once. However, if you open another instance and load the piano the piano is loaded again taking up twice the RAM.

I think...
    -Chris

Go Back to forum