• Register
  • Help

Topic: Weird& Quirky instruments?

Weird& Quirky instruments?

Hi... I'm scoring a film where the director wants the instruments to be quirky, unusual and even and toy like (or atleast some of them). So I was wondering if any of you have an idea where to get these (sampled) cheap or free? Any libraries with stuff like that?

Re: Weird& Quirky instruments?

Check out these guys:

Also, Herman's web site has some cool free percussion samples, although they are ethnic in nature, they might qualify for your needs.

There's another collection called Junkyard Percussion but I think it's just loops.
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Tucson, AZ

If this must not be completely sampled from real world sources -- I have had some luck getting quirky by using Spectron by Izotope. Has allowed me to thin and rework Glock to small toy piano and drums to toy timbres with very little work.

I believe too, the new MOTU SI package has a range of toys in it that are rather good.

The cheapest way, of course, is a program like Spectron which can process tests in pretty close to real time using samples from your existing instruments. IMHO -- if you have a little time.

These are strange percussive libraries:

VSL FX Percussion
    Johnny Cage Prepared Piano
    Popeller Islands Prepared Piano

Best strange sounds:

Distorted Reality I-II
    Malice in Wonderland

And there are many useful patches in Absynth, but the very best should be Sculpture in Logic Pro 7.

Awhile back, a musical buddy was in town, and we went by Kmart and grabbed a 2$ back of plastic toy instruments. Lots of fun working those into tracks.

Cologne, Germany

Peti is really nice.
    And *everything* from Applied Acoustics is superb!

If you're looking for samples rather than VIs, Big Fish have some off-the-wall stuff, as do QUpArts.

There's a fantastic gothic music box here and it's a free download too!
    Stand by for action - we are about to launch Stingray!

Try Invader at the bottom of this page

Thumbs up Re: Weird& Quirky instruments?

Not samples but inspiration for odd instruments:

Go Back to forum