• Register
  • Help

Topic: Long notes and dynamics in Finale

Long notes and dynamics in Finale

An urgent question for technical support:
    it seems impossible for me to playback one simple long-held (string or other sound) note (say: 3 bars tied over in tempo 96, without any expressions) without a lot of disturbing fluctuations in volume; this is even more the case when using dynamics and/or hairpins and using "Human Playback" (HP) in Finale, which is strange since Finale and GPO are supposed to be tuned in on each other.
    NB: when I just play the same note(s) on the keyboard, it is possible to hold the note normally without fluctuations, so it seems it is not a question of having a "too short" sample. Do you have any solutions?

By the way, I use Finale 2005 on I-mac 1,8 with 1Gb Ram and full version of GPO.

Thank you for answers,

Maarten van Norden

PS it seems good manuals for the use of GPO or optimising HP are missing (as far as I know). Or do you know of any other well-organised source of information?

Re: Long notes and dynamics in Finale

Make sure you have the following:

In GPO Studio,

under the "Settings" menu
    under "Mode"
    make sure that "Default" is selected.

If "Ignore ModWheel" is selected, it resets itself to a middle position every few seconds. That is why you are probably hearing that fluctuation.

That is my guess at least.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Re: Long notes and dynamics in Finale

Thank you Jerry, this was indeed the problem and now solved.
    But I still have major problems with volume controls in Finale, I started a new thread about this titled "Volume controls in Finale". Maybe you can comment on that as well?

Go Back to forum