• Register
  • Help

Topic: Will Macs turn into PCs?

Will Macs turn into PCs?

A while back on this forum, there was a thread about Macs becoming PCs. I can‘t seem to find the thread, but while doing some light reading on the Unicorn Nation forum, a DP forum, I ran across THIS THREAD that might be of some interest. A couple of guys got a little testy, and had to be calmed down by the moderator (of course that wouldn‘t happen on this forum), but I, as a Mac user, found the content thought provoking.

Re: Will Macs turn into PCs?

Well, Apple is going to move to Intel x86 based processors.... ( http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jun/06intel.html )

This, in theory, makes it possible to run Windows on a Mac and OS X on other x86 machines (I've already heard a couple of stories about that, including that Dell said they would ship OS X on some of it's machines if Apple gave them the OK).

For some reason, this whole thing reminds me of one of the last scenes in Pirates of Silicon Valley...

BILL GATES: It doesn't matter!

Re: Will Macs turn into PCs?

Steve Jobs is looking to eliminate the competition on the Mac platform, doing to the Mac world what Gates has tried to do for years on Windows - buy up the competition and replace them with Apple-only 'solutions.' I think it is extremely unlikely that he will authorize another PC company to sell OSX boxes - and if he does, you can be sure it will be a repeat of the Mac clone disaster a few years ago, when he let all the wanna-be clone makers spend their R&D money on Mac clones and licensing, then pulled the rug out.

I just hope this inspires MOTU to put DP on PC boxes (after all, it will be a much easier conversion once it works on the new processors.) I would swap platforms in a heartbeat (after version1.2, anyway )...
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Go Back to forum