• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Let's Help a Member Affected by Katrina

Share/Bookmark

Let's Help a Member Affected by Katrina

I split this into a different topic because we learned in the AES thread that one of our members was affected by the devastation in New Orleans and had to evaluate New Orleans and relocate.

I think it would be a good idea to pull together and help JohnnyP.

Re: Help for Member Affected by Katrina

Gary,
    Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Thanks for bumping this. I'll have a badge for you and your wife if you so wish.

Evacuated? From LA/MS/AL?
    We left New Orleans the day before Katrina Hit. We went to Houston and then to Ohio and finally Manhattan
    Sincerely,

Jonathan
    www.hollandaudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP
    We left New Orleans the day before Katrina Hit. We went to Houston and then to Ohio and finally Manhattan
    Tell us what happened to you and your family. Is there anything we can do to help you and your family?

Gary,

Tell us what happened to you and your family. Is there anything we can do to help you and your family?
    Well we left Sunday morning. We even picked up a couple of visitors who asked for a ride to the airport and were told that their flight was still good. My wife and I thought, 'YOu're not going to make it.' They ended up riding all the way to TX in our back seat holding our cat, and getting their flight from there. OUr evacuation only took 17 hours as opposed to the 25 we spent in our car with the Hurricane Ivan last year.

By tuesday it was pretty clear, and becuase the govenor said so, we cannot go home. So we decided to go to Ohio for a while (my family) and then onto New York (where we both used to live and work). This was our 2nd evacuation this year and usually their pretty tame minus the driving. We thought, oh yeah, we will be back in a week so we packed very light.
    I'm feeling fatigued. Between family, friends, gas prices, and 2100 miles of driving-I need a break.

So far, I have yet to see our home (3rd ward/garden district) on the news and we feel that is a good thing! We looked at a sattelite photo after the flooding on Aug 31 and things look ok on our block so far, but who knows-looters, crazies. We're blessed. We have talked to more than one co worker, friend, church member, who has lossed their home. We're blessed.

I took some of my film sound equipment (day gig) but had to leave my music computers. One of them is racked pretty high off the ground and the other I put on a shelf. Hopefully they're fine. My wife and I anticipate at least a few months away from our home and are doing the usual looking around (clothes).

I hate to be materialistic, but I wish I had my giga box and mac here to do some work-or at least a laptop. I took a couple of sample disks with me but that was it. I could use a laptop or fast desktop to crank out some ideas. ON the up side, I am staying in a home with an upright piano so I can at least sketch out things with pencil and paper and bang a tune every now and then. Theory the old fashioned way-I play it.

Just pray that the recovery will go well. The rebuilding is more than the buildings it's also the collective memory of the people who are now being shipped all over the country.
    Sincerely,

Jonathan
    www.hollandaudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP
    I hate to be materialistic, but I wish I had my giga box and mac here to do some work-or at least a laptop.
    Let's see if we can all help by doing what we can to help get JohnnyP some equipment.

Re: Let's Help a Member Affected by Katrina

Well I have an unopened copy (NFR) of Gigastudio 3 Solo (64 voice). I have a 1Ghz PC w/ 512 meg of ram that isn't doing anything and only has a tiny drive on it and no OS. If someone can donate a copy of XP and a 2nd drive I could get this running as a Giga box for him. I have an old Darla card that would work in this machine.
    Chris

I am sitting here teary eyed because I wish I could just come up there and buy you what you need. I can't imagine being told to get out and then not know if your posessions will even be there when you return.

I will pray for you Johhny, I can do that.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by chriscaouette
    Well I have an unopened copy (NFR) of Gigastudio 3 Solo (64 voice). I have a 1Ghz PC w/ 512 meg of ram that isn't doing anything and only has a tiny drive on it and no OS. If someone can donate a copy of XP and a 2nd drive I could get this running as a Giga box for him. I have an old Darla card that would work in this machine.
    Chris
    Chris,

That is very generous of you. That may take care of JohnnyP's GigaStudio. I can certainly provide the copy of XP and 2nd drive.

Here is another idea - what if we all built Johnny a new state-of-the-art computer, We can all provide different components. Chris can provide GS3 and the Darla Card, perhaps I can provide the case, PSU & a fast CPU, someone others can contribute RAM, someone else a drive, a DVD-R, keyboard, a mouse, or a copy of XP, and maybe someone can put it together.

This could be the machine that the forum built for JohnnyP. Just an idea.

That's a great idea Gary! I have been blessed too, and I would like to purchase a nice DVD-R drive for him.
    Dan

Here is another idea - what if we all built Johnny a new state-of-the-art computer, We can all provide different components. Chris can provide GS3 and the Darla Card, perhaps I can provide the case, PSU & a fast CPU, someone others can contribute RAM, someone else a drive, a DVD-R, keyboard, a mouse, or a copy of XP, and maybe someone can put it together.

This could be the machine that the forum built for JohnnyP. Just an idea.
    That's a cool idea. The RAM I have is PC2700 so it will run in most modern machines. The case is a no frills 300watt (although it might be 350...not home to check). I could also donate the mouse (nice Kensington) and I may have an extra keyboard but I will have to check. Only being the 96 voice version of Giga you don't need breath taking speed. I could build it too.
    As far as a mac goes a laptop would be best for mobil use for sure. Unfortunately I don't have a spare mac or mac parts.
    Chris

Go Back to forum