• Register
  • Help

Topic: Copyright question?

Share/Bookmark

Copyright question?

Not sure if this issue came up.

This being a forum for personal musical work, I was wondering if members here copyright their work before posting?

Is there a need to?

Anyone familiar with the law regarding copyrights/ownership on the net?

Re: Copyright question?

Technically, your work will be copyright by you from the moment it's written. So putting the big (C) 2005 by such and such on your website is no lie if you really wrote it.

So everyone's personal work here is already copyright.

However, if you fear someone might copy your work and try to make money off of it, you will have to be able to prove you wrote it first if you want to sue them, and the easiest way to do that is register it with the US Copyright Office (or similar office in whatever country). You don't need to do this for your work to be copyright, but it will make the process of sueing someone much quicker and easier. Some also say you could mail it to yourself because of the time stamp the post office uses, but that might have some problems if you try taking it to court.

I register my work with the US copyright office regularly.

EDIT: This has all sorts of great info on copyright: http://www.copyright.gov/
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: Copyright question?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Technically, your work will be copyright by you from the moment it's written. So putting the big (C) 2005 by such and such on your website is no lie if you really wrote it.

So everyone's personal work here is already copyright.

However, if you fear someone might copy your work and try to make money off of it, you will have to be able to prove you wrote it first if you want to sue them, and the easiest way to do that is register it with the US Copyright Office (or similar office in whatever country). You don't need to do this for your work to be copyright, but it will make the process of sueing someone much quicker and easier. Some also say you could mail it to yourself because of the time stamp the post office uses, but that might have some problems if you try taking it to court.

I register my work with the US copyright office regularly.

EDIT: This has all sorts of great info on copyright: http://www.copyright.gov/
    Odd. My last post, a few minutes ago, on another site contained a quote from the copyright office, same link as above.

Richard

Go Back to forum