• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Trouble with a7v133 (?)

Share/Bookmark

Trouble with a7v133 (?)

My new Asus A7V133 isn\'t getting along with GSt at all. No matter what I do, GSt just makes noise instead of music. I thought at first it was a problem with a sound card, but it isn\'t. Here\'s what I\'ve done:

Installed latest Via 4in1 drivers.
    Tried different memory sticks (3 different Crucial 256 mb, and a no-name brand that works fine with GSt in my other computer).
    Reduced memory to 512 mb in case the 768 that was in there before was causing trouble.
    Tried 3 different sound cards - Hammerfall 9652, Digi 96/8 PST, SBLive.
    Tried 2 different video cards - Matrox G450 and Millenium.
    Taken out all cards except sound card and video card.
    Moved the cards around to different slots.
    Changed a bunch of bios settings - it\'s an Athlon 1.4 ghz cpu, but in the bios it\'s now running at the default speed of 1050 mhz. The performance setting is now \"normal\" or \"standard\" or whatever they call it instead of \"optimal.\" USB is disabled.
    DMA is enabled on the disk drives, but I also tried disabling it.
    I\'ve run fdisk and format on both drives and reinstalled Windows and GSt.

After all that, and at every point along the way, regardless of sound card etc. and regardless of which disk drive the gigs are on, GSt just produces noise. All other sound apps work fine. The wavs within the gigs are fine.

Is it possible this is a motherboard problem? That doesn\'t seem reasonable to me, since other sound apps have no problem. But I don\'t see any other possibilities - I\'ve swapped out just about everything else. Maybe there\'s something like a magic bios setting that I\'m missing?

Meantime I\'ve got this shiny new computer sitting here, just itching to make music, and instead all it can do is make those deafening shrieking sounds.....

Re: Trouble with a7v133 (?)

The only time I\'ve run into GS making shrieking noises is when my output buffers for my soundcard are too small (M-Audio Audiophile only -- never happened on my Aark 20/20). Have you tested with a small gig file that doesn\'t need to stream from disk (the Turbo Analog filter sawtooth file is good for this)?

Something you could try as follows:
    Check All voltage supplied and system temperture, use the BIOS Ultility to make sure everything are functional as normal (see ASUS-MB User-Manual).
    I had to add about 5/6 DC-Cooling fans in the P4 system.
    BTW, check Matrox Video card, it might has ground-loop noise!
    Good luck,
    Long

[This message has been edited by LHong (edited 12-30-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by killerbobjr:
    The only time I\'ve run into GS making shrieking noises is when my output buffers for my soundcard are too small (M-Audio Audiophile only -- never happened on my Aark 20/20). Have you tested with a small gig file that doesn\'t need to stream from disk (the Turbo Analog filter sawtooth file is good for this)?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hadn\'t tried that. Results were strange. The Turbo analog gig has a few notes that sound almost normal - the first time I\'ve heard anything approaching a normal GSt sound from this computer. Other notes in the same gig are distorted from start to finish, others have different amounts of distortion. It\'s all repeatable, i.e. always the same distortion on the same notes. The retro drums (which are even smaller than the turbo analog, with shorter wavs) are completely distorted.

I have no idea what to make of this.

And here\'s another weirdness - in the DSP station, though the volume control affects the volume as expected, none of the NFX do anything. If I put the Effect volume up, I hear a hiss, but that\'s it, no verb, chorus, etc.

Is there an emoticon for a head spinning??

I guess I\'m going to try exchanging the motherboard, but I just don\'t see how a faulty motherboard could explain this stuff. The NFX are just software processing of the outgoing wav data, right? How could a faulty motherboard turn that off and turn it into hiss??

[This message has been edited by ursatz (edited 12-30-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LHong:
    Something you could try as follows:
    Check All voltage supplied and system temperture, use the BIOS Ultility to make sure everything are functional as normal (see ASUS-MB User-Manual).
    I had to add about 5/6 DC-Cooling fans in the P4 system.
    BTW, check Matrox Video card, it might has ground-loop noise!
    Good luck,
    Long
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Voltages and temperatures show up normal, but I don\'t know about ground loop noise in the video card - how would I check for that? And wouldn\'t it have been a problem on the other computer? (I get the same results using either a new G450, or my old Matrox Millenium that works fine in my first computer.)

Here are more things you could try as follows:
    * To reduce the ground-loop noise/Hum, you need to use seperated AC-power-strip sources for PC and Power-Amp (mixer/Pwr-Spk/Monitor). To avoid it, you could try 2 conductor-AC-plug adapter for Pwr-Amp if it has 3 conductors (ground on middle pin). Of course, all the audio cables should be Audio-Rec-Studio quality!
    * Make sure that you don\'t have any \"Echo MIDI/Audio\" options in Sequencer or Giga-MIDI-Audio-I/O by accidently. Check MIDI-port1~4 mixer/DSP/Aux and audio-CH assignments as well. Of course, to make sure clearly there is no NFX/FX/Eq being used in Giga-DSP-Station neither Soundcard/Mixer/Pwr-Amp (just double checking). To isolate the problem, try not use the sequencer, use the keyboard controller.
    * Make sure Audio output level: It should never be exceeded zero DB by any reasons (this usually made the distorted).
    * Other possibilities: Power-supply, Pwr-amp or Mother-board noise problems.

You wrote:
    >>>I get the same results using either a new G450, or my old Matrox Millenium that works fine in my first computer<<<

They are not same Motherboard, Harddrive, pwr-supply, PC-case, CPU-speed, memory and many others. It might be system\'s behavior level!

Good lucks.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ursatz:
    Voltages and temperatures show up normal, but I don\'t know about ground loop noise in the video card - how would I check for that? And wouldn\'t it have been a problem on the other computer? (I get the same results using either a new G450, or my old Matrox Millenium that works fine in my first computer.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by LHong (edited 12-31-2001).]

I\'ve seen this kind of problem in the cubase forum and the problem was (after trying everyting u can think of) the guy changed his Tower\'s power supply and that was the problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>
    I hadn\'t tried that. Results were strange. The Turbo analog gig has a few notes that sound almost normal - the first time I\'ve heard anything approaching a normal GSt sound from this computer. Other notes in the same gig are distorted from start to finish, others have different amounts of distortion. It\'s all repeatable, i.e. always the same distortion on the same notes.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, first of all, what exactly do you mean by distortion? Does it sound like an overloaded amp, or is it crackling and popping, or something else? Since you get \"distortion\" on some notes but not others, set the master attenuation to -10dB and try it again. Also, on the hardware routing page, make sure the bit depth is either 24 or 32(preferable) and only a single output is enabled. If this is the only soundcard in your system, you also have to turn system sounds off. Go to Control Panel, Sounds, and for Schemes select \"No Sounds.\" Now try playing notes.

And here\'s another weirdness - in the DSP station, though the volume control affects the volume as expected, none of the NFX do anything. If I put the Effect volume up, I hear a hiss, but that\'s it, no verb, chorus, etc.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you done it in this sequence?: Start up GS, load in a sample (Turbo synth), go to DSP Station, select Inputs page, click on the top slot for inputs 1 & 2, select NFX1, then go back to Port 1, click the Loaded Instruments page, click on the GS keyboard with the mouse, listen for reverb.

I guess I\'m going to try exchanging the motherboard, but I just don\'t see how a faulty motherboard could explain this stuff. The NFX are just software processing of the outgoing wav data, right? How could a faulty motherboard turn that off and turn it into hiss??
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It\'s not a faulty motherboard. A faulty motherboard would cause problems in all your programs and in Windows itself.

I\'ve seen this kind of problem in the cubase forum and the problem was (after trying everyting u can think of) the guy changed his Tower\'s power supply and that was the problem.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That\'s not too farfetched. If one runs a fast Athlon cpu, you can easily suck down 60-70+ watts that most cheap power supplys can\'t keep up with. GS requires a lot of cpu horsepower and can very quickly overwhelm a standard 300W power supply. But since Ursatz has tried running the cpu at 1050MHz and still had the same problem, I wouldn\'t be inclined to think this was the cause.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by killerbobjr:
    Okay, first of all, what exactly do you mean by distortion? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Killer, thanks for the help.

If I record to disk and look at the wav (one of the notes that\'s almost normal), it starts out looking ok, then there\'s a region of \"distortion.\" Starting in the left channel only, the wave form jumps back and forth between the top and near-center, in a mostly square-wave-y pattern. Then there\'s a region where it\'s jumping from top to bottom (not just top to center) in near-square-waves. Then there\'s a short region where it\'s ok again, then both channels get nothing but maxed-out square-waviness. Then it\'s ok at the end. The other notes are similar, except they may have few or no \"normal\" regions. The pattern is nearly the same (not identical) at 0db and -10db attentuation; either way the square waves go all the way from top to bottom. Same also at 16 or 24 bit depth. This on the turbo analog gig. On other gigs, the maxed-out square wave is nearly continuous in both channels. In my latest install I hadn\'t remembered to turn off Windows sounds - I did that, but it made no difference.

Have you done it in this sequence?: Start up GS, load in a sample (Turbo synth), go to DSP Station, select Inputs page, click on the top slot for inputs 1 & 2, select NFX1, then go back to Port 1, click the Loaded Instruments page, click on the GS keyboard with the mouse, listen for reverb.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just tried it in that sequence - I hear reverb - for a short while. The hiss rapidly grows louder (sounds like feedback) and eventually takes over so that I don\'t hear anything else until I turn off the effect. What the???

It\'s not a faulty motherboard. A faulty motherboard would cause problems in all your programs and in Windows itself.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That\'s what I thought...

Power supply? Maybe, hadn\'t considered that, though as you say at 1050mhz and with no unusual power demands (other than GSt itself), it doesn\'t seem that likely. If it were a power supply problem, wouldn\'t there be at least a little variation in the results when I record to disk? I don\'t see any variation.

Is it possible the CPU is bad? It goes through the benchmarks in SiSoft Sandra with no trouble.

Oh man, you are in the Twilight Zone on this one. The fact that you are getting the weirdness on one channel but not the other makes me strongly suspect a driver/audio interface problem. Unfortunately, the next step in diagnostics would be to start swapping stuff (hardware and software) with a known good system to try to either isolate the problem on the bad system or reproduce it on the good one.

Maybe I can send some help your way. Where are you located?

Go Back to forum