• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: HDTV for monitor

Share/Bookmark

HDTV for monitor

I am moving into a much larger studio and I would like have a huge monitor 50+ to use to save my eyesight. I know that some of the newer HDTV\'s have VGA/XVG/SVGA connections on them for computer hookups. Has anyone used or seen this setup and how does it look/work?

Donnie

Re: HDTV for monitor

Hmmm do you know how much a 50\" HDTV Monitor costs? )) Prolly in the range of $30-40.000 Maybe normal HDTV\'s are cheaper, but professional monitors are very expensive.

A cheaper solution would be get a video card with a rca video out on it [about $30] and run it to a large screen tv that has a RCA video input on it[you probably have one already].
    Of course the video quality won\'t be as good as a VGA set up ,but it cheap ,has a large screen ,[mine is 25 inch] and if your doing text and recording programs etc,that don\'t require supper high resolution it works pretty well.

As far as a price on HDTV\'s they have some at Sam\'s chub for $2,500

I\'m using GS with an Apple 22\" cinema dispaly and it\'s great. I found an Nvidia GForce 3 card from PNY that seems to work well. I\'m sharing the monitor with a Mac G-4 500 mhz that I only use for personal computing...not music. A Gefen DVI switcher is working perfectly to toggle between the 2 cpu\'s. I\'m also sharing my Apple KB, but not the mouse.
    So far, so good!
    good luck!

HDTV\'s here in the states are not very expensive (starting around 1799). The problem is finding one with a VGA or SVGA input.

Has anyone had any luck with any of those computer converter boxes that will let you view your screen on a TV and if so what kind of resolution are can you get.

Donnie

Donnnie I\'ve been looking at the same...but 64 inches.

IU send video out to my TV from my laptops,...and the resolution isn\'t all theat great for text.

HOWEVER... this is not using any S-VHS. I think if I used a hi res input on a HD TV it would look great.

Let me know if you find anything on it Donnie.

Also Happy new Year!

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

yeah, I\'m definately going to be looking into this. I\'m doing a major studio overhaul and this should add some years to my already bad eyesight.

From what I\'ve been told so far if you can find a HDTV with a VGA, SVGA, or XGA interface you should be in good shape.

Donnie,
    The HDTV could be not right solution that what you are looking for! The problem is too low resolution, like about 600x800 is the most you can get. Try VGA-Projector, it is specially designed for PC used at high VGA/SVGA/XGA resolutions, the pricing is starting from $1,500 to $5,000. I think Sony and Toshiba supports it.
    Hope this helps,
    Long

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by donnie:
    yeah, I\'m definately going to be looking into this. I\'m doing a major studio overhaul and this should add some years to my already bad eyesight.

From what I\'ve been told so far if you can find a HDTV with a VGA, SVGA, or XGA interface you should be in good shape.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Long has the answer. I attend a lot of meetings where this technology is used i.e. displaying PC output on a large projection screen, and the results are bright and sharp. They are also nice in that the hardware is compact and the screen can roll up into the ceiling (get a remote control for your screen - quite cool). Some A/V rooms will mount the projector on the ceiling then control it with a remote.

Here is one company I have seen around http://www.infocus.com/index.asp?fls=1

Also, go to dell.com and search for projector. They sell quite a few - good place to start.

Craig

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LHong:
    Donnie,
    The HDTV could be not right solution that what you are looking for! The problem is too low resolution, like about 600x800 is the most you can get. Try VGA-Projector, it is specially designed for PC used at high VGA/SVGA/XGA resolutions, the pricing is starting from $1,500 to $5,000. I think Sony and Toshiba supports it.

Hope this helps,
    Long

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Donnie
    Just make sure when looking for a monitor that it reponds to a high refresh rate from your video card .
    my old setup would only run at 60 hertz and my eyes would get tiered easily.
    But now with my new setup , my monitors refresh rate is 100 vf by 85 hf at a relolution 1024 by 768 , this is much easier on my eyes.
    A large monitor screen won\'t help your eyes if the refresh rate and resolution is low.

Go Back to forum