• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What Broadway show would you recommend?

What Broadway show would you recommend?

I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to get up to New York to see a Broadway musical, but it may be possible on Oct. 22, when my college runs a bus (for a $50 fee) from our campus to New York City and back again in one day. I'd definitely have to plan the trip out!

But if it is possible, what Broadway show would you recommend me seeing? The trip will cost a good amount of money, so I definitely don't want to waste it, and chances are I won't be back to Broadway for long long time.

I particularly thought "Phantom" or "Wicked" might be good . . . what do you think?

Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

West Seneca, NY

Re: What Broadway show would you recommend?

I think if you've never experienced Broadway, NYC - then pretty much any of the famous shows would be an experience to remember.
    However, my suggestion is a little known cafe type theatre near the end of PrimeRib and Wine St. The Parody Cafe, "Phatter Than Oprah" plays there and promises to be a very filling experience!
    Have a nice time and say hello to Dolly for me.

Hey Sean!

I made it to NYC this summer and saw Wicked, but I had to pay a wicked price for my tickets online. You can't find any at face value anymore. The show is sold out for a while. As I was entering the theatre, I overheard a guy buying tickets at the box office for February. I'm pretty sure the box office worker was telling him that was the first show he could sell tickets to. Anyway, I paid too much for the ticket, but it was well worth it. I would pay it again to see that show.

The other show I saw was Avenue Q! It was a great show in a cozy smaller theatre, but be warned. I wouldn't take my parents to that show!

Another show I want to see is The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. I have a friend that saw it and he loved it. It's another of the lighter comedic musicals, but very entertaining.

Of course, if you've not been before and haven't seen Phantom of the Opera, you should consider it. It's a requirement of Broadway fans!!

I do hope you can make it. I had a great time up there this summer.

Donald W. Sorah
    Doctoral Teaching Assistant
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

Since I live on Broadway and 56th, I see most of the shows. I loved Wicked and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels best out of the currently running shows. Spamalot was good, but not as good as I expected (I love the movie The Holy Grail). I'm not sure if it's still running, but "Sweet Charity" was suprisingly good.

I'd probably want to see Threepenny Opera -- can't go wrong with Kurt Weill, and Alan Cummings is playing the lead, which is a good choice.

Fiddler on the Roof is one of the best shows ever written, and if you've only seen it at your local high school, it's worth seeing a pro production--I don't know anything about the currently running version, but the show is strong enough that it's hard to do it poorly.

You can't go wrong with Chicago, the Lion King, or The Producers. I've heard wonderful things about Spamalot, but I don't know much about it personally.

I heard that Sweeney Todd is coming to broadway--if that's up, I'd recommend it... It's a cool show with good music and interesting characters. I've seen bad productions of it, but if it's done right it can be very good.

Avenue Q is very popular, and it might be hard to get tickets--it seems like it's a lot of fun, and the music is funny in the South-Park sort of shock-value-ironic-satire sort of way. I'd like to see it but it's not first on my list.

I don't know much about "Belly of a Drunken Piano," but Tom Waits is my musical hero, so a show based on his music can't be all bad. I hope.

I Love You You're Perfect Now Change is a silly show, but it's a lot of fun if you go with a significant other--it's great for an anniversary or special couple occasion. If you're going alone, or with just friends, you can probably give it a miss.

I haven't seen Wicked, but I've listened to the cast album and I think the music is pretty stupid. Too bad, Stephen Schwartz is (usually) a great lyricist, and his music is sometimes quite good. The show seems to be popular with my high school students, but they also like Britney Spears.

Phantom is corny, and I'm sure there's something better out there you can see. Still, it's kind of a staple, and I suppose everyone should see it once. I'm not an Webber fan at all, although I think JCS and Evita are pretty interesting musically.

Albuquerque, NM

I guess I'll have to make a shameless plug for "25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee" since a friend of my wife and I (Jesse Ferguson) is starring in it. Of course, I say this not having seen the show... We are hoping to get up that way and see it though.

I have heard good things about the show though. I agree with Styxx however, you probably wouldn't go wrong seeing any of the famous shows. It also has the added benefit of your friends recognizing the name of said famous show when you brag about it later

Have fun,

P.S. If your bus gets to NYC early in the morning, go to the TKTS booth--you can get half price tickets for shows, depending on availability. Sometimes if you're having trouble deciding among lots of great shows, the best thing to do is go to the TKTS booth and pick what's available at half price. Check out TKTS.com to find out what time they open.

Guess this thread should have been set up as a poll! So many opinions, all valid!

Check the Theater Developement Fund's Site:

It should lend some direction on getting inexpensive tix. Maybe you could get them without standing on line at TKS in Duffy Square. Although there is an incredible steel drum guy there who makes the experience worth while. Sometimes, while passing through, I'll linger around there, just to listen to him play.

Phantom does seem to be a staple... I've never seen it though.
    Wicked, a great large spectical event, but I doubt you'll remember any of the melodies when you leave the theater.

My vote.

1. Avenue Q, especially if you grew up with Sesame Street.

2. 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

These are original works and that's why I'm voting for them first.

The adaptations -

3. Spamalot

4. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Also good.

Good luck choosing!!!

San Francisco Bay Area

Check out off and off off bway.

Particularly, go see some plays...not just musicals.

Personally, the good theatre was never on bway. Not as risky as what you find elsewhere...nor as intimate...
    75,000th Post Winner on the Garritan Forum
    "Don't you wish you were me?"

Thanks for all your feedback! And thanks for the cheap tickets link!

I've listened to the albums for Wicked and Phantom, and I love them both, so I would imagine I would love the shows as well. I've heard the album for Avenue Q too . . . I found it funny, but I don't think it's something I'd want to pay to see. It didn't seem to have that emotional side, if you know what I mean.

Thanks again!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum