• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Work in Progress. . .

Red face A Work in Progress. . .

About 9 or 10 months ago, I decided to re-explore musical composition. At that time, I grew anxious fearing that I would lose and forget compositional skills learned long, long ago. My goal, then, was to churn out several pieces via the old-fashioned method: putting pencil to blank manuscript paper. Since 9 or 10 months ago, I've written 2 and 1/5 pieces, far from the several that I hoped to write. Well, the composition that I share to you now is the "1/5th piece" (or 1/4th or 1/8th. . . ). I started writing this piece about 3 months ago. Since that time, I've worked on some business stuff, helped my mother move from Long Island, NY to "upstate" NY, and purchased a new home! This month was consumed by the process of buying the home and moving (oh my aching back!! ).

I want to finish this piece!!!

The basic structure is in my head. I pretty much know how I want to develop this composition. The instrumentation is set (75% of the instruments planned for this piece will be from the GPO ). All I need to do is put pencil to blank manuscript paper and write, write, write. Then, I want to record, record, record. It just hasn't been happening.

So. . .

I am off from work this coming Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. We are all moved into our lovely new home, so I can't use that as an excuse not to write music. (Understand that I am exercising old and atrophied compositional muscles when I write music. It's a labor of love. But, until I exercise those muscles, it is still labor!!) I want to use these days JUST to finish writing and possibly record this composition.

I've seen other musicians do this on other bulletin boards to help them finish a project. Basically, they put up a rough draft of their work and committ themselves to the group to finish their song (or recording or whatever). So, out of a strong desire NOT to find something to distract me from writing, I'm going to give this self-contractual committment to this particular thread. Here's the piece. It is no where finished. But hopefully by the middle of next week it will be done.

A work in progress

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Thumbs up Re: A Work in Progress. . .

Nice piece Ted!!!

Go on with this piece absolutely!!!
    I don't know how to help you, but surely you are able to finish it!!

So take your pencil and write on initiated paper!!!

Best of luck with this piece!

Leonardo had his Gioconda (Monna Lisa) for the entire life...

Will you keep it your Gioconda?...why not? Humor and music are healthy for the soul!

Re: A Work in Progress. . .

Ted, it is always so nice to hear GPO in a different light!

Very nice!

Unhappy Re: A Work in Progress. . .

First, thank you for taking the time to listen to this "rough cut" piece.

An update. . .

(I am so embarrassed). I wrote only 16 new measures to this composition. It really is a slow process for me. And I did allow myself to get distracted rather easily (like attempting to get a new upgraded software to work correctly - I wasted time there. . . )

So, it's not finished. But at least it is a bit more completed than 3 months ago when I first started writing this piece. I still have tonight to do more writing (which I will do). My next few days off are Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I'll be doing more writing then too.

There are a bunch of you that seen to churn out a new composition a minute. How the heck to do you do it?!?!? (And you create great music too! )

Oh well. . . back to the pencil to paper for me.

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

This piece was delightful.!.

Very charming and light…. A perfect theme for an afternoon walk in the park.!

I agree that it's nice to hear a different stream of music on this forum from time to time.

… and I also agree with your comment/question on how it is that other members are so prolific with their music.?

I'm amazed by this myself.

West Seneca, NY

By all means continue. This is a very uplifting piece and I would definitely love to hear it completed.

Great piece Ted, absolutely keep at it; you're more gifted than your modesty might indicate! Great harmonic handling, too.

Steve Main
    Steve Main

You're off to a fine start, Ted! Come on now, let's have the rest of it!

Go Back to forum