• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "A String Thing"

"A String Thing"

This is my "A String Thing" (revised and improved). It is all GPO. I used all of the 'Sus + short' string sections plus horn and the Gagliano solo violin which doubles the melody in the first violins.

There are no dynamic contrasts. It is meant to be loud and joyful from beginning to end. Play it loudly!

Regards to all,

Larry G. Alexander

Re: "A String Thing"

It would be helpful to me to know why there has been no response to this post. Is it unlistenable? Does it suck? Enquiring minds want to know.

Larry G. Alexander

Thumbs up Re: "A String Thing"

WOW Larry!!!
    I enjoy your strings!!!

Great writing as usual!!
    Maybe a little pause somewhere in the piece could give a breath to the listener.
    Anyway the piece is really well done and the strings sounds good!
    Congrats, Larry.
    Sorry probably I missed it!
    I will play more attention at demo section!!!
    See you,

Salisbury, UK

I always enjoy your pieces, though usually do not comment. At a guess, I would say you like Bach and the baroque, are a skilled keyboard player, and have a strong appreciation of the importance of rhythmic motifs combined with interesting harmonic progression. They combine to make good music. But I would also be interested to hear what you came up with if you set yourself a purely emotional brief, a miniature journey through light and dark places, with a conclusion that reflected the incidents of the journey. Come to think of it, I would be interested to hear what I came up with on a similar brief. Talk is cheap, isn't it. Best wishes. Dermod.

Thumbs up Re: "A String Thing"

Yes, I would aggree on the Bach thing and rythem motifs and very cool melodic progressions and stuff.
    Larry, you are SUCH a good comoser and your music is so flawless that I usually don't have much to comment about and I feel weird saying "good job" to every one of your posts because they are all so great!!!

Actually, I have a few comments on this one. A short little breathing break would be nice in some places, although personally I don't find it absolutely nessesairy. However, the last note sounds quite heavy in contrast to the rest of the piece which is so light and airy. Actually, a lot of classical composers do this which is kind of annoying. Also, when I hear this piece I think of a beautiful spring day sitting out on the deck overlooking the trees sipping an ice cold iced tea with lemon. And I always find that double reeds create a good image of this. Maybe if you had an orchestra of strings, horns, maybe an oboe and bassoon or two. Or a flute to add clarity on the top.

Again, coming from a very inexperienced composer. These are just my innitial thoughts.

Again, you are AMAZING!!!!!

Wine Country, Colorado

This has to rate with your very best. I love the piece and way it sounds. I've never offered any advise before but maybe the horn can come up bit. Good job!
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Thanks, all. I appreciate your comments.

My best to all,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander

At first it didn't grab me, but as I listened longer, it grew on me. I think you are correct in having played with little dynamic change - I think that is why I began to enjoy it more. There was a nice sweep and forward motion to it.

I will admit, if I can make a small criticism, that I wasn't crazy about the strings. This isn't just you, but sometimes they sound more like an organ. Perhaps it is my speakers, or the compression that comes with converting a file to an mp3; but it did strike me here. I can honestly say I have no idea as to a solution (that would have made it constructive criticism).

Still it's a tribute to the piece that I liked it despite not being crazy about the strings.

May the well never run dry.

R. Pearl

The strings are all GPO and sound pretty good on this end to my old ears. I am using all professional equipment including pro studio monitors. (?) Go figure.

Thanks for listening.

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander

Smile Re: "A String Thing"

Hi Larry,

I also usually post a comment only:
    -to new entries as a wellcome
    -when I've something interesting to say.
    -to people doing something related to my activity.

You make music different from my style, and you are not a new entry...

But It's probably an "interesting thing to say" that I play almost all your post music, and I find it every time nice and welldone, sometime really funny (as I told you in other threads).

This piece is not different: nice and welldone "as usual".

Take care Larry,

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast