• Register
  • Help

Topic: Arrrrrrrrrrr!

West Seneca, NY

Talking Arrrrrrrrrrr!

What did the pirate say to the snowman in the forest?

Shiver me timbers

What’s a pirate’s favorite restaurant?

What do pirates drive?

A Caaaarrh.

What do pirates fly?

An Aaaarrhhhplane.

What do pirates sail?

Their ships....duh. (AAaaarrrhhh)

Ezz, that enough for Pirate Jokes hmm, das pumpkin?

Talking Re: Arrrrrrrrrrr!

Not quite:

How much does it cost a pirate to pierce his ears?
    A buck-an-ear!

What is the one thing a pirate is afraid of?

What do you call a pirate who poses for Playgirl?
    A Play-matey!

A pirate and his parrot, were adrift in a lifeboat following a dramatic escape from a valiant battle. While rummaging through the boat's provisions, the pirate stumbled across an old lamp. Secretly hoping that a Genie would appear, he rubbed the lamp vigorously. To the amazement of the castaways, a Genie came forth. This particular Genie, however, stated that he could only deliver one wish, not the standard three. Without giving any thought to the matter the pirate blurted out, "Make the entire ocean into rum!" The Genie clapped his hands with a deafening crash, and immediately the entire sea turned into the finest rum ever sampled by mortals. Simultaneously, the Genie vanished. Only the gentle lapping of rum on the hull broke the stillness as the two considered their circumstances. The parrot looked disgustedly at the pirate and after a tension-filled moment spoke: "Now yee've done it!! Now we're goon to have to pee in the boat."

Re: Arrrrrrrrrrr!

You've probably all heard this one, so I'll just skip to the bunch line : "Aye, but it was me first day with the hook!"
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

For yer listenin' pleasure, on this most scurvy of days...

Blackbeard, Bluebeard and Redbeard
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

How to speak like a pirate...

The "-tion" found at the end of words like "locomotion" and "promotion" is pronounced "-seeon". So, don't say "locomoshun", but "locomoseeon"; not "promoshun", but "promoseeon".

Missing Letters
    There are a few letters you should never pronounce. The first of them is "g". Drop all your "g"'s when you speak and you'll get words like "rowin'", "sailin'" and "fightin'". Dropping all of your "v"'s will get you words like "ne'er", "e'er" and "o'er".

Big, Bigger, Big Biggest!
    Pirates are dramatic, and their speech is doubly so. Pirates never speak of "a big ship", they call it a "great, grand ship!" They never say never, they say "No nay ne'er!" Double up on all your adjectives and you'll be bountifully bombastic with your phrasing.

The conjugation is a rather modern invention, one that sailors always seem to be forgetting. Take the verb "to be" for example. Instead of saying "I am", sailors say, "I be". Instead of saying "You are", sailors say, "You be". Instead of saying, "They are", sailors say, "They be". Makes things a lot simpler, doesn't it?

Using Nautical Terms
    Another technique for sounding more "piratey" is to use nautical terms. Here are some examples.
    "Indeed were I taken aback!": I was surprised.
    "And just as I were forgin' ahead through the crowd…": As I was making my way through the crowd…

Pirates are a notoriously superstitious lot. Not only do they inhabit a world of vengeful spirits and ghost ships, but they also believe that using certain words when aboard a ship will give offence to King Neptune. Things whih are not to be mentioned include women, cats and the terms left and right, hence the elaborate taboo language which grew up around these things.

Go Back to forum