• Register
  • Help

Topic: My First GPO MP3

Share/Bookmark

My First GPO MP3

Some of you may have seen some of my posts at "General" and "Technical"--I'm new to GPO and have been struggling to get it up and working with my system.

My BIG MISTAKE was trying to use GPO Studio through my "ancient" Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 sequencing program. Nightmare. It's a pre-VST sequencer, for one thing.

Now I'm getting to understand Cubase LE, with which GPO works seamlessly. What a relief--Still a Huge job ahead of me, with some more learning curve to tackle AND because what I'm trying to do is re-record 2 hours of original music I've written for a theatre musical. Trying to convert existing MIDI files can be so convoluted!--as you all probably know.

Here's an MP3 of my first GPO test.

http://www.flipdrive.com/download.php?file_id=2969&code=479c46342783ec82a46 ef545a7c37a1b&show

It's the opening "Prelude" to the dramatic musical I've written---for now, not mentioning the title. But it's set in Victorian England. In this opening are snatches of some of the show's themes, then it becomes a chorus number which takes place in a London street.

Lots of colla voce in this--Once I've dubbed the singers on it, I'll thin out the colla if it's conflicting.

Not a "pure" GPO piece, which you'll hear for yourself after the first second. The instrument lay out isn't traditional---I was glad to read Dan Kury's good "Audio Mixing Tutorial" on the GPO front page, which validated a wish I already had--to not feel obligated to retain the traditional orchestral set up. 2nd violins are on the right, facing the 1st section, and the Contra Basses are almost center.

A quartet is out front in front of the orchestra--piano, bass, drums and guitar--from my Korg X5dr module, except the piano which is of course the GPO Steinway.

After literally weeks of struggling to translate my MIDI files into GPO, I'm still not satisfied with this recording--but I'm happy enough for now. Some balances need tweaking and I could do even more with the special user of MIDI controllers that GPO utilizes. Volumes and dynamics are still a big issue as I go on, translating more of my musical with GPO.

Everyone's way of working is different, but if anyone has tips they'd like to pass on about the sometimes daunting task of translating exisiting MIDI files into GPO--I'd like to hear.--I'm doing the basic things---changing cc7 to cc1, adding lots more mod wheel, editing the velocities etc etc.

Take a listen!

rbowser

Re: My First GPO MP3

I guess I'll have to wait, since it's reached it's maximum.
    ♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

It's unfortunate about the maximum download deal!

....Can't listen.

Smile Re: My First GPO MP3

Hey, that's kinda fun! You're definitely on your way now, I recognize the GPO instuments, they are plugging in quite nicely. There's a lot going on here, it's obvious you've spent many hours on this.

A couple comments -- I'd love to hear this with a real electric guitar, the synth version isn't sitting so well in the mix. The tone of the guitar is coming across rather brazen and "transistor-radio-like", but it could be the cheap computer monitors I'm listening on. And the whole thing could use an overall application of "smooth." Could be as simple as judicious application of reverb, or might require more, editing of note lengths, more mod wheel changes, etc.

Nice work!

Jim

P.S. For all who have attempted to download the file but couldn't (maximum number of downloads exceeded), the trick is to sign up for your own free account. Then you can get to the file no problem.

Thanks much for taking a listen and posting a reply, mistahamma!

Thanks also for figuring out that people can sign up for the free account at Flip Drive and have unlimited access--I didn't realize it worked that way. It's nice having an otherwise well-functioning and free file site to use, but I wish they handled this download thing differently--people can get wary of signing up for things. Well, hopefully some folks will sign up and take a listen.

RIGht on about the guitar in the opening section of this--Way too prominent in the mix, it's sitting on top of everything. That track, and several actually, are temporary ones--I was just anxious to hear Something approximating a final version.

LOL=="Transistor radio" made me chuckle. The track is going through a guitar amp simulator, which achieves it's 4'x4' inclosure effect, but is too heavy-handed the way I used it. I'll dial that back, soften the distortion, and place the guitar in the same room by using the same reverb as the orchestra--didn't do that in this version. If I do all that as well as pull the guitar slider down, I think it'll be working better. The acoustic guitar later in the track is already working better, but it needs to be the GPO Ambience also.

Appreciate the sentiment of wanting a real guitar---but it can be so difficiult. On my last big project, a very good guitar player added tracks to my keyboard tracks--and it turned into a project of over a year's duration, just his guitar part of it. I'd already spent 1 1/2 years on the keys previous to that--incredibly complicated. I can't afford that kind of time and hassle, and so for now I'll make do with some keyboard guitars sprinkled throughout this project.

I'm still in the experimental stage with GPO--If I had the time, I'd be tempted to start completely from scratch with my musical, but oh man, I've already spent 2 years perfecting these MIDI tracks--SO, I'll do with tweaking, cloning, adding the GPO-style MIDI controllers etc---that will long enough as is.

THanks again. It'll be fun to post more as I have more tests to drive by with.

rbowser

Quote Originally Posted by mistahamma
    Hey, that's kinda fun! You're definitely on your way now, I recognize the GPO instuments, they are plugging in quite nicely. There's a lot going on here, it's obvious you've spent many hours on this.

A couple comments -- I'd love to hear this with a real electric guitar, the synth version isn't sitting so well in the mix. The tone of the guitar is coming across rather brazen and "transistor-radio-like", but it could be the cheap computer monitors I'm listening on. And the whole thing could use an overall application of "smooth." Could be as simple as judicious application of reverb, or might require more, editing of note lengths, more mod wheel changes, etc.

Nice work!

Jim

P.S. For all who have attempted to download the file but couldn't (maximum number of downloads exceeded), the trick is to sign up for your own free account. Then you can get to the file no problem.

Go Back to forum