• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: 'On a White Horse'-by Bandon S

Share/Bookmark

'On a White Horse'-by Bandon S

Brandon has just sent in his first GPO peice called "On a White Horse"

Here is the link:

http://www.garitan.com/mp3/bs-OnAWhiteHorse.mp3

Brandon writes: "it is my first GPO written piece and first real serious piece in the 5 or 6 years I have been studying music composition. I would like to have as much constructive criticism as possible to make me better at what I enjoy doing."

Very nice composition Bandon. I especially like the theme at 3:05 and the overall arrangement.

Thanks for sharing your music with us and I look forward to hearing more of your music.

Gary Garritan

Re: 'On a White Horse'-by Bandon S

The link was wrong, this is right:

Right url
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Hi Brandon,

Overall, this is a nice piece!! I'm wondering, did you use a notation program or did you play it in? The reason for my asking is that I feel that the transitions between some of the notes are a little too abrupt or not as legato as they could be, but yet that's just my opinion and if you intended them to be that way, then it's just fine as it is!! Nice work, keep at it and I hope to hear more of your music soon.

Steph

Smile Re: 'On a White Horse'-by Bandon S

Hey,

I know what you mean with the abruptness. I just recently purchased Sibelius 3 and downloaded the GPO plugins for it. I don't know how to get the strings to play more legato but in some occasions like at 4:08 in the song, it came in handy. I have a keyboard linked to my computer but I don't even really know how to record using a keyboard at this point with Sibelius...

Hi Again,

I'm not familiar with Sibelius at all, so I can't offer any help with that. Like I said before, I thought that it was a nice work overall, and I'm sure that others here use Sibelius and wouldn't mind sharing a few of their tricks about getting more legato.

Steph

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon S.
    Hey,

I know what you mean with the abruptness. I just recently purchased Sibelius 3 and downloaded the GPO plugins for it. I don't know how to get the strings to play more legato but in some occasions like at 4:08 in the song, it came in handy. I have a keyboard linked to my computer but I don't even really know how to record using a keyboard at this point with Sibelius...

Steve Martin taught me this...

On Sibelius 3, to get the notes a good legato...

Turn on Live Playback

Then, highlight the portions of the notes you want to be legato

On the properties window on the "window" panel, click on playback, and click on duration. You should see a number beside it. A quarter note will have 256, an eighth note will have 128, and a sixteenth note 64, etc... Now, you'll need to extend the note longer, so, make the value greater to make the note(s) longer. 10-20 ticks is good, maybe more, depends on personal preference. Note that this only works on different pitches.

Hope this helps!
    ♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

Nice orchestration overall. I am sure once you master your notational program all that little stuff will go away. One think I would caution is not to play timpani too near or out of range especially with the larger drums. They tend to sound flabby and muddy.
    Nice, this is quite a nice composition!
    Styxx

such a lovely piece! love how you voiced the stings. Nice work. As many said I look forward to hearing more.
    Chef Marco Teti
    www.TheSwordLord.com
    (Fine Replicated swords)

This is a superb composition. I love the periods of tension mingled with calmness. Very well done first GPO piece.
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Thumbs up Re: 'On a White Horse'-by Bandon S

For the first piece this is realy really good!!
    I love the periods of tension mingled with calmness too!

I hope to listen many more of your pieces!!!

Best
    Roberto

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast