• Register
  • Help

Topic: How much RAM

Share/Bookmark

How much RAM

I just did change one motherboard for an ABIT KG7-RAID (please let me know if this is no good....) and an Athlon AMD-1600 CPU. I was said that I could put up to 4 GB RAM in the machine. Will this work and does it make sense with GS? I mean, it would be really great!

Thanks for some feedback

IGOR

[This message has been edited by IGOR (edited 01-29-2002).]

Re: How much RAM

If memory serves me well: the Windows 95 family (95, 98, ME) can cope with up to 2 Gb RAM. The Windows NT family (NT4, 2000, XP?) can handle 4 Gb of RAM. Both have a virtual memory system that can address/access up to 4 Gb, but half of this \"space\" is reserved for the operating system (address space is not the same as Ram), and apparently the families work differently in this respect.

Problems may arise (known to several of us) when you use more than 512 Mb. Some experts sites even dare say Windows cannot reliably support more than 512 Mb. I think it can (I have no problems with it). You WILL have to change VCache settings.

Read this, for instance:
    http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/windowstips/story/0,24330,3337233,00.html

VCache can be safely set quite low for GigaS PC\'s

For example:

[VCache]
    MaxFileCache=49152
    MinFileCache=49152

(this is 48 * 1024)

I welcome other reactions, as I am not completely sure.

Cheers,

Peter Roos

I heard from some computer wiz that too much ram could fry your computer. Question some tech experts on this. 4 gigs of ram, sounds like massive overkill.

Hi,
    The first 4GB limit is numerical. These are 32-bit processors. 2 raised to the 32nd power is 4GB.

Second, 4GB or RAM, assuming you could buy it, could draw more power than your specific motherboard could supply. However, read your motherboards spec. Usually they won\'t allow anywhere near that amount.

Third, you can\'t use 4GB of DRAM anyway. All of your PCI cards, and your AGP graphics controller need memory space. This is mapped at boot time by the BIOS and by the operating system. The starting address for all of these cards starts at an address higher than the installed memory in your PC. If you run 1GB of DRAM, then PCI addresses start just beyond that. You can check out where your devices are mapped in the address space by looking Device Manager and checking the resource settings for each of your cards. Graphics Controllers often consume many MegaBytes of memory space, as do some I/O devices.

These reasons and others limit how much physical memory you can put in your machine.

With best regards,
    Mark

Go Back to forum