• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Got GS3...now what?

Question Got GS3...now what?

What do y'all think?

I got an outstanding deal on GS3 Ens, which I now have (could not pass it up), but I have not figured out what to do with it yet. I have gone through the upgrade wars from GigaSampler, to GS2.2 on up to GS2.5 and everything is working fine now (and I would like for it to stay that way). I could install it in the main DAW, but I hear it is a bit of a CPU hog, so that may not be a good idea. I could install in a slave that has GS2.5, but I am not sure I want to do that. It seems GS3 is a "nice to have" for future developments, but it would be a waste just to have it replace something that already does the job minus a few extra nice features. Currently my most powerful slave is for synths and VST(i)'s, but it has no GSIF card, thought I could host GS3 as a Rewire device. Or I could just spring for a new computer and have it as a stand-alone host slave for GS3. And I am not really looking forward to going through the whole installation-registration-verification-upgrade (directly to 3.12??) run-around. (I want to install and forget, if possible)

So, any advice from "out-there" from those of you who have been fighting through all this? What do you think I should do? Any particular gotcha's or dire warnings I have not yet heard about? Any particularly good threads I may have missed? Any "your best bet is to..." comments?

Doyle W. Donehoo, Composer
    Radar Music

Re: Got GS3...now what?

buy a new computer, its definitly worth it!!!
    Digital AudionetworX

mac - pc - gigastudio
    berlin - germany

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

I'd add a new box and start smiling.

By the way, GS3 installs perfectly and smoothly for most. I have yet to have a problem with an install. You only read about the problems on forums, never the "I installed and things went perfectly" stories.
    But you know this...

Hollywood California

To get the most out of the GS3 features a new computer would be way to go. Cheers, jc

Lightbulb Re: Got GS3...now what?

Thanks all for the comments!
    Yeah, I think a new slave box is the way to go.
    Radar Music

Question Re: Got GS3...now what?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    I'd add a new box and start smiling.
    Well, I am not smiling. I got the new box, new GSIF 2 card [what a pain in the rear that is: there is no excuse for GS3 not supporting ASIO and WMD] and installed SG3. That was a few days ago. So far, I can audition sounds in SG3, but while GS3 can see the audio outs and the Midi ins and set up OK, it does not respond to midi or the virtual keyboard, so it makes no sound: kind of a bad thing for an audio app. (I suspect GS 2.5 would not be having these problems.) I have not registered it yet or downloaded the new patch, so maybe that would fix things: any ideas out there?
    In contrast, today I installed Kontakt 2 on the same system and had it up, running, loaded and playing within minutes. No exaggeration.

OK, I am a bit frustrated and on the verge of emoting and comparing, but I suspect there is some simple answer to this spate of issues. Suggestions?

Radar Music

I would do one of two things:

1. Install the updates to see if that works for you. I can guarantee that it won't fix your problems if you DON'T try.
    2. Uninstall, pack it all up, and send it to me.

If you weren't a moderator, I would think that you're trying to start a war between Kontakt and GS3 people.

Actually, I'm constantly debating the ins and outs of the different programs myself. By the time I can afford to make the decision, there will be newer editions anyways, so it doesn't really matter. Plus, the people who have been the most helpful to me with questions when I first started looking in to it one year ago (JonF, Bruce, many others), don't seem to have any problems with GS3 that haven't been fixable. So when I'm ready, I'll take their advice and run. I would try the updates if I were you, and then ask questions accordingly if you continue to have probs. Good luck to you.

Edit: My guess is that if you're not hearing sounds or the keyboard isn't working, it's not an update/patch prob. Possibly it's some type of setting problem. That's just a guess, since I don't have the software.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Out of my Mind

I am running Kontakt and Giga 3 on the same machine (not at the same time of course), so that is probably not an issue. If you have anything else installed on that computer, then all bets are off. Giga likes to have your machine all to itself.

Just a shot in the dark here but I had similar problems (as you describe) in the past (but with Giga2). The solution was obvious so you probably have tried it already. Check the bit depth and sample rate on your sound card. Try lowering them or raising them and see if midi responds. I believe that midi is somehow tied in with GSIF (correct me if I'm wrong here Bruce), and can get mucked up occasionally.

Other than that, see if your sound card has new drivers...

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Question Re: Got GS3...now what?

I seem to remember from personal experience with GS2.n, that if Giga is not getting midi for some reason, not even the virtual keyboard will make it produce any sounds. (The midi inputs are showing up in the setup) Its strange I can audition sound with GS3, but get nothing through the virtual keyboard. Another factor is that the midi inputs are MidiOverLan. I may try the hardware midi in to see if that is the issue. I will look at the (Delta) card bit rates too. Thanks for the suggestions: I am open for more.

>2. Uninstall, pack it all up, and send it to me.

Yeah, that'll happen.
    Radar Music

Are you by any chance accessing your machine with Remote Desktop?
    I had the exact same problem as you with GS3 - I could audition sounds, but not trigger anything via MIDI or virtual keyboard, and it was only a problem with GS3. Kontakt and all other audio apps would work just fine. It turned out it was because Remote Desktop conflicts with the GSIF audio and midi drivers. ASIO drivers are not affected by it, so that's why Kontakt still worked.

There is supposedly a way of getting RD and GS3 to work together, and I think I've seen it posted on this board (about a year ago), but it hasn't worked for me so far. For me the solution was to use a different remote app instead of Remote Desktop. I went with TightVNC because it's free. There's also one called RealVNC (also free) and one called RAdmin (not free). That solved the problem for me.

If you're not using Remote Desktop, then I would run GS3 in diagnostic mode and look at the log file, to see if you can see anything there that could indicate a problem with your midi or audio drivers. Also, try contacting tech support and send them a copy of the log file. They should be able to tell you pretty quick if something is not right.

Hope this helps.

-Andreas Bjørck

Go Back to forum