• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: What's the funniest thing ...

Share/Bookmark

Talking What's the funniest thing ...

that happened to you during a performance?
    Mine, I was playing a gig at one of the local Universities for a Halloween party and during the second set the whole stage collapsed! No one was hurt but I couldn't stop laughing at how the female singer ended up with one guitar players' face first into her and the other her face into him! Really! Seriously! No kidding! No Joke! Fir sure! Right arm baby! Farm out! Powder on the people man! Yo, like, you know like, ah ya know! DUDE
    Styxx

Re: What's the funniest thing ...

Years ago I was playing a gig in a hall which had a device to cut power if bands were too loud. Everytime the singer hit a high note off would go the power. So some bright 'spark' in the audience reckons he can fix this by disconnecting the mike that monitors the sound levels so...

He gets a big set of ladders, grabs the mike and gets a mild electric shock (anti-tamper device), falls off the ladders while every fuse in the building is blown - no power anywhere, a locked fuse box and the guy with the key is off on holiday.

We sent out for candles and finished the gig as an acoustic set praying that no-one would set the place on fire...

I was in an ensemble performing a very modern aleatoric piece. The conductor had given an explanation beforehand so the audience was braced for just about anything.

So the fire alarm in the auditorium goes off about halfway through... the bell was right above the organ in the middle of the stage. Now we were making a lot of noise at that point in the piece, but the bell was easily twice as loud as our 50-piece band. The conductor continued for a few more bars and finally gave up. He turned to the audience and yelled, "IT'S NOT PART OF THE PIECE!!!" It took several seconds of (continued) bewilderment by the audience before they finally understood and started laughing.

Talking Re: What's the funniest thing ...

I haven't had many performances to choose from, but at the grand finale concert this year at camp was quite a riot.

My orchestra's conductor, Mr. Fisher, is the oldest conductor and, by far, the coolest at the camp. He, like any conductor, would wait before hitting the last note to make sure the orchestra was paying attention. On one particular song, during a rehersal, I was the only one that played and it was a tripple-stop and I played the whole chord flat. But that's not what I was getting to...
    So the concert comes, and we get to the rushing ending of this really fast piece, 43 string players sawing away, the last note approaching...and he stops. Right before the last note. He puts down his baton, and takes out a comb and fixes his hair. Then he ties his shoe, files his nails for a bit, picks up his baton, and with a huge swing we hit the last note.
    Lucky for us we were all watching.

So that's my contribution. I have a feeling this is going to be a great thread! Good topic, Styxx!!

-Chris

EDIT: I forgot about this one: There was a band concert at my middle school on a dark and stormy night and the power went out. We all read our music off the exit sign's light and managed to get thorugh. Not that funny, but kinda cool!

I have a wonderful theatrical experience from my acting days in high school:

During a performance of a stage version of Dracula, my character was grabbed by the throat and lifted up off the ground. The actor playing Dracula was much taller than me, and managed to cut off my circulation, and I passed out!

I was supposed to fall to the floor, and afterwards everyone remarked how convincing my fall was. Acting! Brilliant! I came around almost immediately, and crawled off the stage, as was planned, so no one really knew at the time. Although the director did wonder why I just laid there for a while before crawling away.

I don't have many notable music-related performances, unless you count the film premieres where, sitting there in the audience, I suddenly discover the the score has been mangled and essentially ruined. Good times.

Unhappy Re: What's the funniest thing ...

I don't know if it's funny or tragic, but it's real.

During an avantgarde atonal modern music concert in Milan, the playing ensemble was solo winds + percussions for a few pieces. Then after a short pause, violin, viola and DoubleBass joined the ensemble. To be ready they quickly tuned the string playing 5th over the oboe A, then everybody played A, then everybody play some random note. Annoyed by noise in few seconds the composer-conductor asked for the start, and the piece begun.

After 2-3 minutes we were all able to hear the elegant old man in first place asking his wife seriously. "Are they still tuning instruments? How long it takes?..."

I decided to stop my avantgard performance activity...

ROFLOL!!!!!

Keep 'em comin!

-Chris

For me, I guess it would have to be when one of my bandmates messed up and uttered a four-letter word... into a microphone... at a $1000-a-plate black-tie benefit dinner...

It wasn't funny at the time, but now I can look back on it and laugh...
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Wow, this thread has really made my day!

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    that happened to you during a performance?
    Mine, I was playing a gig at one of the local Universities for a Halloween party and during the second set the whole stage collapsed! No one was hurt but I couldn't stop laughing at how the female singer ended up with one guitar players' face first into her and the other her face into him! Really! Seriously! No kidding! No Joke! Fir sure! Right arm baby! Farm out! Powder on the people man! Yo, like, you know like, ah ya know! DUDE
    Well, once I got pretty frisky with the pedals and slid off the end of the organ bench.

Another time, my sleeve caught the run switch on the Hammond, and I quickly turned it back on, with disastrous sound resulting. Very distressing moans, outer space type sounds. That was back in the days when Hammonds all had a start motor and a run motor.

Richard

Go Back to forum