• Register
  • Help

Topic: HELP

Share/Bookmark

HELP

I just got my FInale 2006 and I was wondering is there n e way to transfer my Sibelius 3 files into it? Or am I gonna have to start from scratch

N e help would be greatly appreciated

Re: HELP

You'll probably need to save all of your Sibelius files as midi files, (I'm assuming Sibelius does this -- Finale does) then import them into Finale. A bit of a pain, to be sure, but better than starting everything from scratch.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Struggler06
    I just got my FInale 2006 and I was wondering is there n e way to transfer my Sibelius 3 files into it? Or am I gonna have to start from scratch

Well, saving as midi in Sib 3 will work. It seems to me that if you grub around the Make Music site, you will find a utility that will import Sibelius. But perhaps I have it backwards. I would search quite a lot before I resorted the the Sib to Midi to Finale. That could be a massive job. Certainly would be for me. I still have some scores not yet converted to Sibelius. No matter what method you use, there will be more work than you like!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Struggler06

The perfect solution is this...you go to the Recordare website, they sell something called a Sibelius Dolet. It's a plug-in that you payfor and download, and load into your plug-in folder.
    What it does is translate your sibelius file into an xml file. This file then can be opened in Finale 2006.
    It does not cost that much ...but it translates my files perfectly.
    For instance, the Fantasia for Piano that is in the demo section I wrote, was scored and recorded from Sibelius 3. I wanted to open it in Finale and do some more editing there [which I have not done yet], but I used the recordare plug in to turn it into an xml, then opened it in Finale 06.
    The piano part has parts where there 12,9,7 demisemiquavers to one beat, triplets etc which were translated and opened perfectly in Finale.
    If you want me to send me a couple of your sibelius 3 files, I'll translate them into xml for you so you can open them up in Finale 06 and see how it works. Make sure you put in things like dynamics and so on, so you can see what imports and what does not.
    Try the midi file way though...save the Sibelius file as a midi file, then open it up in Finale.....but, I'm willing to help you out with this, so why don't you give it a go?
    best,

Steve Martin

Quote Originally Posted by steve martin
    The perfect solution is this...you go to the Recordare website, they sell something called a Sibelius Dolet. It's a plug-in that you payfor and download, and load into your plug-in folder.
    What it does is translate your sibelius file into an xml file. This file then can be opened in Finale 2006.

Steve Martin
    That's the one I was trying to remember. I have been meaning to get it, but was not sure how efficient it would be.

Richard

Let me give the Dolet plugin from Recordare another recommendation. It truly is the most accurate way to get Sib. files into Finale. It's not 100% perfect, maybe 95%. The biggest problem that I have is articulations in Sibelius (staccato, accent, marcato...) don't make the conversion perfectly and chord symbols come across as text expressions. But notes, slurs, dynamics, lyrics, double bars, instrument names, titles, all of this stuff comes thru perfectly. I've heard that there is a new Dolet for Sibelius being developed that will improve this even more. If you have a lot of files to transfer, it's worth it to purchase this plugin.

Jeff

Go Back to forum