• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Need some Mac/GPO help?

Share/Bookmark

Need some Mac/GPO help?

Hi Everyone,

Following Tony's PC support lead, I'm putting together Mac support.

I am able to offer only the help I can with your Mac. I have been an Apple user since 1979 and I've been a user of Performer (long before there was a "Digital") from version 1.0, and have grown up with successive versions until the present Digital Performer 4.6. I have also been a daily user of GPO with DP on my Mac since it was born almost two years ago. I have recently purchased Logic Pro 7.1, and I am trying my best to get up to speed with this product. I am pleased to offer assistance with any problems that you may encounter with GPO.

I am working on contributing to the Knowledgebase with Tony. I am setting up a Skype account or you can reach me by email gpo@garrettguitar.com.

I ask Mac users to contribute to the knowledgebase.

While I would hope that everyone's music flows flawlessly from his/her computer, we know that with things as complex as they are, sometimes this is not the case. With this in mind, I'll try to help, and look forward to helping you in any way I can.

Karl Garrett

Re: Need some Mac/GPO help?

That's excellent news Karl, I look forward to your contributions!

Excellent Karl, that's just great!

Dan

Look forward to helping -- I just destroyed my samples/sound drive today with a little help from either Sys 10.4.2 or Logic 7.1 Corruption. Disc warrior saved a lot - not all of other three drives.......

Now after I get straignt with NI on installs -- tis is the second iMac G5 wipe out I have had -- 1 was theirs - 1 I suspect was mine.

Last time re-install only took 4 days -- but I had to reconstruct fewer libraries then...

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    Hi Everyone,

Following Tony's PC support lead, I'm putting together Mac support.
    go. I have recently purchased Logic Pro 7.1, and I am trying my best to get up to speed with this product.
    Karl Garrett
    Thanks, Karl. I've been a Mac user for some time myself, but I'm new to the sequencer/GPO world of music. I'm beginning to see that composing music is pretty east--but once it gets into the sequencer, the work really begins for me. Setting volume levels, choosing and adjusting plug-ins, and then mixing it all together is where the work really starts. I'm a composer and arranger, but making the leap to becoming a sound engineer has kept me pretty busy.

I started with GarageBand, which is a terrific program for what it does, but I quicky ran into its limitations, so then moved up to Logic Express, and now I am using Logic Pro 7.1. Learning Logic has become almost a full-time job--but I persevere.

The main problem I'm having right now is getting the volume levels for GPO insruments to behave properly and be consistent with my Logic settings. I posted a message about this problem today in this forum hoping for some good feedback.

Take care,

Bill Boletta

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    Hi Everyone,

Following Tony's PC support lead, I'm putting together Mac support.Karl Garrett
    Karl, I hope that you can help me.

I am running GPO on a 1.8 gHz dual processor G4 with 1.75 GM of RAM and 240GB of free hard disk space. Nonetheless, I am getting pops and crackles during playback. This is true even with just 1 player and 5 instruments loaded.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    George F. Litterst

With the exception of the Post Instruments last group buy discs in Kontakt (I am awaiting replacement by Michiel) my iMac G5 seems to be back in commission. Almost all AU tests (except post and a harp instrument demo I picked up) seemd to go OK -- with updates installed. Logic has been giving me some odd close messages that I have to track down.

I am very tired of challenge and response code entry on the various packages -- and found that Stylus 1.5 came out the same day I was going to reinstall 1.2.

The price of hard drives has dropped significantly of late -- so in addition to the four that were wiped out -- I expect to get a kinda-mega backer to use daily and keep off line. Had to completely replace the fried drive at the end of the daisy chain that in some arcane manner took the rest down. Now everything is off a FW hub.

So BIG recommendation -- NO DAISY CHAINS in FW. Good hubs work and are cheap, especially when cast against reconstructing 3/4 a terabyte as a one man operation.

How exactly can I contribute to the knowledgebase? Does it have a URL?

I'm a professional Mac technician, Apple-certified. I'm a PC/Windows technician as well.

I'm just getting started with composition and orchestration. Maybe I can help with Mac problems of a more general and system/hardware nature.

I have just started using the Mac ImacG5 I've been working with PC's since the Vic20 and the Mac has really slowed me down. Soooooo I'm sure I will need help. How do we contact each other? EJ

Quote Originally Posted by EJ
    How do we contact each other? EJ
    You can click on my profile and send me an email or visit my web site. I can answer specific questions or point you to the numerous resources available for learning how to switch from Windows to Mac.

Go Back to forum