• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: EWQLO Gold or Platinum? (pros and cons)

Share/Bookmark

EWQLO Gold or Platinum? (pros and cons)

I'm about to purchase one of the EWQLO libraries, but I'm not sure which one. I'm considering the following points, and would like some advice:

1) Money is no object. I just want what works for me.

2) I compose a wide range of styles, and need a library that could handle complex work as well as more intimate works. (I'll be supplementing my orchestral toolbox with other libraries)

3) I was told Platinum is resouce intensive, and would require multiple machines to run efficiently. That could be a problem, because multiple machines is a bit beyond my budget at this point. HOWEVER, I think I read somewhere that Platinum can be scaled down (by using only one mic position) to run smoothly on one or two machines. Is that true?

4) I read that many people got Gold instead because it's almost as complete as Platinum, can be run smoothly on one machine, and that they don't need the extra mic positions. I would consider Gold if Platinum isn't scalable.

Banned

Re: EWQLO Gold or Platinum? (pros and cons)

I have both, and have used Gold more than Platinum (which I got recently). Platinum seems to run just fine on my single system (overclocked AMD64 3000+), but I don't use multiple mic positions simultaneously. Honestly, I haven't used them together at all... I will sometimes load a surround patch instead of a stage patch. But I haven't used a close mic patch yet.

When running only one mic set, the only difference between Gold and Platinum is 16 vs 24 bit. That must be more of a resource drain, but I haven't measured how much.

It sounds like you'd get the most out of Platinum, since Gold doesn't have close mics.

Another option you might consider is Gold + Gold Pro XP (or Platinum + Platinum Pro XP, if that's in your price range). The Pro eXpansion Packs have tons of new articulations, as well as a new legato technique. Gold Pro XP has in it all the articulations to make Gold and Platinum clones of each other, except for the mic positions and the bit depth. In other words, if you have Gold + Gold Pro XP, you have everything you'd have in Platinum, but only the stage mics, and 16-bit.

I hope that didn't cloud the issue any more!

- Stefan

Get gold pro, best choice IMHO.
    It is a strange world, isn´t it?
    http://www.rustedheart.net

Quote Originally Posted by sbkp
    ...if you have Gold + Gold Pro XP, you have everything you'd have in Platinum, but only the stage mics, and 16-bit.
    Thats a huge selling point for Gold Pro. I have Gold and Pro is on order.

I know of a few composers who own platinum and only run it in 16bit with one mic pos too.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cairns
    Thats a huge selling point for Gold Pro. I have Gold and Pro is on order.

I know of a few composers who own platinum and only run it in 16bit with one mic pos too.
    I thought platinum only comes as 24 bit? Does it have 16 bit included too, or you have to downsample? So when you run it in 16 bit and one mic position only, does that mean it becomes much less resource intensive--at about the same level as gold?

If money where no object to me I'd purchase many different libraries to get the best out of them all.

Gold and gold pro are great. Platinum is a bit of an overkill for most production applications but for film and concert work Platinum would work great. The great thing about gold though is that there is very little mixing involved.

Then I'd get SISS strings for the more authentic string sound. Very beatiful stuff.

Then I'd look into getting Opus 1 and Opus 2 just for the legato winds. Winds legato are really the only authentic sounding imo. Seems like for solo winds you really can't get along without legato.

Also Sam Trumpets are quite good. Truestrike is great but it sounds a bit too clean to me which makes it a little steril to my ears.

I have gold and will purchase the rest too. As far as Platinum I'm still trying to decided if multiple mic positions is overkill or not.

Theres nothing to stop you working with one mic set, then bringing in the other two when you are bouncing the tracks.

I own Gold and Platinum and I haven't used Gold since I got Platinum. If you're going to be doing intimate pieces you might find the Gold instruments too wet for your taste. For me the 3 mic positions of Platinum make a huge difference and make it very versitile. You can definitely run Platinum on one pc, it all depends on how many instruments you want loaded at one time. And like its been mentioned here already, you really only need to work with one mic position when laying your tracks down, then when it comes time to mix you can render all three mic position down to audio tracks and mix them there. When composing and laying tracks down I usually use the stage mic position (the one that's in Gold), but always mix with all 3 mics in the end.

Thank you guys for the very helpful suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by clonewar
    .... but always mix with all 3 mics in the end.
    Just wondering, in a typical orchestral piece, what are the reasons to have the close mic? I mean, isn't the standard sound recorded at a bit of a distance (about front row in the audience)? I could definitely see the use for intimate pieces though, as I do a lot of smaller scaled intimate stuff like just a piano and cello.

The close mics can be used for bringing certain inst. into focus etc.. theres lots of uses and endless combinations. Platinum was how the Lib. was conceived. If moneys no object...... Rich

Go Back to forum