• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Giovani Solo Edition - Poll Question?

Share/Bookmark

Question Giovani Solo Edition - Poll Question?

Giovani Solo Edition - Voices of the Young II will feature 2 male youth soloists and 2 female.

Here's is our question: Studio dry and direct or recorded on location (Church ambient)... which do you prefer?

Thank you,

Re: Giovani Solo Edition - Poll Question?

Did you say, "2 Youts"?

Why not both?
    Styxx

What's a yout? Oh sorry, 2 youuuuuths!

Both? And how would that been done other then faking it? If you record in an ambient location, you will get an ambient sound. We don't want to double file size by providing an impulsed version. There are so many great reverbs out there for the 'user' to choose from.

I feel that built in ambience on vocals is limiting... but I could not squeeze 32 kids into our vocal booth

Record in a large hall, and mount the dry mics *inside* of the singers mouths.

Oh, wait... Those mics would become wet mics, due to slobber. Never mind.

I would prefer a dry-ish recording. Two reasons: it's more flexible, and I've heard too many mismatched ambient release samples in my day. (Not that you couldn't likely overcome that with the latest sampelrs.)

-JF

If there is only one set, then dry has to be the way to go, I can add reverb, but not take it out...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    If there is only one set, then dry has to be the way to go, I can add reverb, but not take it out...
    I agree, dry.

Frank - "Youts" from "My Cousin Vinnie" starring Joe Pesci.
    Styxx

My only fear is the strong sound of vocal chord resonation (buzzing) and all the other noises that get lost when recorded ambient and distant. When you sing 'ah' for 8 seconds you will hear that sssssssssssss sound. It breeds life to a mix but can sound nasty when soloed. Keep the kids back some form the mic I suppose and not track it like a voice over.

Also, let me nip this in the bud now: Straight tone vs. vibrato. Theses are children and they have yet to develop that level of control. It will be a natural mix of the two with mainly straight tone. There can be a slight vibrato on the 'presure' notes. Ah the fun of working with 9 year olds

PS. Yes, we will be recording the scary Lah's and Nah's heard on 'Hide and Seek'.

Thumbs up Re: Giovani Solo Edition - Poll Question?

Dry I think as well. As I always say about Bela D voices, the important thing is that you capture the soul, and that has nothing to see with the reverb
    A solo edition is a really good idea to complete the collection.
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Definitely dry(ish) over recorded ambience.
    Tim

Dry here! i think you can have much control!

Go Back to forum