• Register
  • Help

Topic: It's all Gary's fault I need sympathy

Share/Bookmark

It's all Gary's fault I need sympathy

It all started when I got GPO. Then came a sequencer since I could never get the supplied lite to work - Got Logic 7. Zero G's Morphology sounded good, and what it lacked Rob Papen's Albino had.

Then came Storm Drum, EWQLSO Gold, SwarPlug. Diva, Stylus RMX, EthnoWold 3, Kompakt full, Kontakt 1.+ Full and Kontakt 2 with Experience opening doors unthought. Add in the M-Audio keyboards, rear end sound -- Izotope stuff and I was ready to roll. Add more samples from Big Fish, EW, Zero G, and Giga.

Last weekend I went to work -- and started serious composing rather than dabbling I had been doing the past 9 months. Everything was finally in place. Looking for good digeridoo I searched my loops and found them disorganized so decided to do some drag and drop indexing was going to take about 15 minutes.

Several crashes later and three of fourof my drives failed to open and my back-up was corrupted. 100 per cent of my sample drive wiped itself out through erasure by the corrupt link. (Suspected killer -- firmware in an external drive corrupting all the way up the firewire chain.)

Now I know it is all Gary's fault because if he had not produced such great sounds to start me off -- I never would have bought, installed and lost the 125 gig of NKI, NKS, Wav, etc etc. that were atmomized. And darn it, the only drive that did survive unscathed was the cheesy loops I was reorganizing. .

Several dozen hours later with tech support in various forms, NI, Apple, two of my Unix guys and I (no 12 o'clock flasher myself) decided we needed to reformat the main drive, reinstall everything on it and reinstall everything on the sounds drive. Also have to reconvert all rex stuff into RMX a new.

For Styxx statistics records I just measured the height of the DVD/CDs in slips and cases that have to be reinstalled. I am sure it is not a record -- but maybe a benchmark. The stack (everything laying on its side) is 31.25 inches high in a single pile. That is without system -- utilities and such -- -just sound programs, sounds and systems.

I am sure this time (had to do something similar three months ago when the main drive mechanically died) the rework is goint to amount to 40-50 hours of CD/DVD install runs.

So- Gary, my question is this. When do we actually get to compose something and not just fix computers. After all, it is your fault for getting me hooked --- Maybe I should have stuck to GPO and GB.

BTW - when on its side, how tall is the Jazz and Big Band? Maybe I should go for the record.

Gee, I need a shoulder to cry on while I wait for my 1x superdrive to chug along.

Re: It's all Gary's fault I need sympathy

OUCH! I feel for ya

Dan

That's a sore one!

It might be a better idea to connect the firewire devices via a hub rather than chaining them.

I feel your pain...

Updated my studio computer to dual 2.5 G5 about 6 months ago.

My wife inherited my original dual 2 G5 for her Final Cut set up.

I did a clean install of OSX and all her software to make the machine truly hers.

Within 2 weeks, her "new" G5 starts acting really funny. Keeps crashing on startup.

I lug it into Manhattan. Tekserve says, "No problems, looks fine to us!"

I lug it back to NJ.

It dies a week later completely.

I lug it into Manhattan. This time to Techknowsphere. "You have a fairly unique CPU. We've never seen one with a cooling system like this before. Regardless, its failed. We're replacing both on your warranty."

I lug it back to NJ. A month later, I'm in the middle of some crazy situation at work, my cell rings, "Honey, my computer won't start again..."

That night I pack it into the roller board for another voyage.

I lug it back to Techknowsphere in Manhattan. Later in the day, they call, "Sorry Mr. Paulsen. I know it crashed similarly to the failed power supply, but this problem is different and only requires the reformating of your boot drive. You're Apple warranty is not applicable to this situation. We're gonna have to charge you 150."

Well I could do that no problem. The computer sits there for a few days as I have no time to pick it up and work on it. My wife finally says, "Just pay them and get it over with!" Which we did.

Lugged it back to NJ and, knock on wood, so far, so good.

My only request to Apple with the future Intel line. A lighter and smaller desk top please. I don't think the bus riding people of New Jersey can endure one more ride with a guy carrying a G5 in a roller board!

Oh, and I by no means blame Gary. I blame all the synth bands of the eighties, Heaven 17 in particular, for getting me interested in this computer music thing.

Thanks for the Sympathy for my PAP -- just to let you know I found tucked away in a second drawer another (on the side) 3.5 inches of discs.

Six hours in I got System. Logic 7.1, GarageBand in, screened out about 35 gigs from the still live drives as stuff never to be used again, skinnied main system drive out of iphoto and all that nonsense and am treating the rebuilt as assembly of a grand INSTRUMENT. Nothing extranious other than Stuffit and net connection for registers and DL ......and UNRAR.

Oh yes, forgot to mention - I had avoided hubs because of all early problems with them -- and now learned (from this) that many hubs now work well.

So how thick is GJABB?

Unhappy Re: It's all Gary's fault I need sympathy

It was a time, when Mac were almost truble-free, easy-to-run, and we were proud of it.

But it was long, long time ago...

OSX is maybe funny, nice, effective...and so on.
    But it takes the Mac and transport it in the unaccessible field of Windows, where common humans are no longer able of managing the system, and will start to say" because I will never know how, if and when it will work, I just plug and...pray."

intell cpu? The last step...

Quote Originally Posted by chmara
    It all started when I got GPO. Then came a sequencer since I could never get the supplied lite to work - Got Logic 7. Zero G's Morphology sounded good, and what it lacked Rob Papen's Albino had...Add more samples from Big Fish, EW, Zero G, and Giga.

So- Gary, my question is this. When do we actually get to compose something and not just fix computers. After all, it is your fault for getting me hooked --- Maybe I should have stuck to GPO and GB.

BTW - when on its side, how tall is the Jazz and Big Band? Maybe I should go for the record.
    chmara,

It was all part of an insideous plot. It was clearly stated in a post a few months before GPO was released:
    Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    "My goal was simply to create an affordable orchestral library that I would enjoying using and that would be easy-to-use...It is my hope that Personal Orchestra will bring people into the digital orchestration fold - hobbyists, novices, the curious, pop artists, students, starving artists, etc. People who were once excluded who don't have the budget for more expensive libraries will literally be players. As more musicians get a taste of MIDI orchestration, they will naturally gravitate towards GOS, EWQLSO, Vienna or other high-end libraries...As more people come into the fold, everybody will benefit.
    That said, it can be overwhelming. But the more tools and colors in the artist's pallete the better sonic landscapes that can be painted. But education and knowledge to use these tools is paramount and that is why we have a strong commitment to education. It is often the magician and not the wand that makes the magic.

It is sometimes better to buy less-expensive libraries and with the monies saved, hire real players. It is important for this sample library developer is to lead people to real players. Samples cannot replace an orchestra - or the players that comprise them. When possible, it can be quicker, easier and more economical to use real players in the mix.

As far as JABB, it also has a small footprint - less than 3 gigabyte.

Gary Garritan

But - How tall is JABB laying on its side? I got through six inches of reloads in the last two days which gives me 28" of discs to go..........I am reticent to measure in gigs -- not visible enough for my ADD mind.

Thanks for that reiteration of the first announcement -- may I quote it on AudioBlog(TM)?

At least you haven't thrown in the towel! I pulled out my 357 and put all six into my PC!
    Seriously wishing better productive musical times for you!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum