• Register
  • Help

Topic: Laptop and GPO RAM memory issue

Question Laptop and GPO RAM memory issue

Hello to all out there,

I currently use a Laptop Toshiba Satellite P20, 2.8Ghz processor with 1 Gb Ram.
    I am working with Sibelius 4 and GPO and sometimes with large orchestra set up.

I would like to ask if it would be realistic to aim at running a full orchestra by using 1Gb of RAM. I am considering adding another 512Mb or perhaps go all the way and have the full 2Gb available on a laptop like this one.

Can anyone please share their experience...

I am not considering getting a dedicated Audio PC for the moment and would like to keep working with my laptop if possible.

I just would like to ask if anyone is using the new Receptor with GPO and notational programs like Sibelius or Finale, but I think this is maybe an issue for another thread.

Thank you to all.

Have a great week-end.

Best Maximvs

Re: Laptop and GPO RAM memory issue

A gigabyte will get you very far unless you have a harp or piano in there (especially the piano). You say you work with sometimes large orchestras. How large? If they're REALLY big, then 1.5 gb would do you good. If they're ENORMUS, then 2gb will do you good. I have 1 gb and it can get me an orchestra with four of each wind instrument, KS strings, and percussion. Maybe I can squeeze in a harp.

You can help yourself right off the bat by doing two things.

In GPO Studio - (which I understand you are using with Sibelius),

under the "Settings" menu
    select "Preferences"
    Sample rate default is 44,100 hz or something.
    Reduce it to something like 22050 (My current setting)
    and raise up the buffer to 512

That will make a WORLD of difference when using Sibelius with GPO Studio.

You will be able to get a LOT more instruments to play at the same time doing that.
    The sound quality is reduced the more you lower the resolution, but it really is very nice at 19200 or above. I did my contest piece at 22050 and it evidentally sounded good enough to get in the top 20, so trust me, it doesn't reduce the quality THAT much.

I still recommend upping your RAM, but the above solution is something that you can start doing right now!

Look at my specs at my hardware in my signature - you will notice I have much less power than you do and I can still produce some good sounding music with such settings and hardware.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Hi Chris and Jerry

Thank you both very much for your kind suggestions.

I will do what you suggested Jerry, and I am considering also upgrading to 1.5 Gb of RAM anyway, considering I also use my Laptop for Audio recording and VST instruments in Cubase SX.

Best to all

Go Back to forum