• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: VGP/Logic7.1 - clicks and pops

Share/Bookmark

VGP/Logic7.1 - clicks and pops

Hi,

I'm finally getting around to using this plug but haven't had much success so far.

I'm on a dual 2Ghz G5, RME Fireface (128 sample buffer) and Logic7.1

Even on the smallest pianos I get clicks, pops, and distortion at times, on anything bigger it's unbearable. I've tried applying various different setting in the options panel and increasing voice count/note limits etc.

I expect I'm doing something wrong but haven't been able to figure it out yet.

Any other Logic users out there with some tips?

Cheers.

Andy.

Re: VGP/Logic7.1 - clicks and pops

Have you tried larger buffer sizes like 256 or 512?
    I cant use VI plug ins with a setting lower than 256 in my songs without getting artifacts on my G5 using a Hammerfall 9652.

Hans

No, I haven't, anything above 128 and I start to feel it so I tend to avoid it if at all possible.

All my other larger libraries and plugs have been fine at 128, at least so far.

I'll check it out at higher buffers though. I was hoping it was something I'm doing, I doubt I'll be comfortable above 128.

[QUOTE=AndyScott]No, I haven't, anything above 128 and I start to feel it so I tend to avoid it if at all possible.

I have to use a 256 sample buffer size.
    On a dual processor 2.0 GHZ G5
    CPU hungry plugins crackle if you use anything less.

I wish I could reduce it to 128, it does feel alot better

256 is ok with me because i quantize most of my tracks anyway to lock everything to RMX.
    Its about the same as MIDI if i am not mistaken.
    512 feels fishy.......

Hans

Hi, I have a similar setup.
    No problems with 256 buffer, did not tried 128 yet (I usually use 256, and I do not feel any problem while playing).

It could help to have the library on a separate hd (not your system disk, to make it clear), as well as getting as much ram as you can afford. I have 2Gb. (this is not only related to VGP, it is a good approach for "large" modern libraries)
    Be sure to read also the html manual given with the software, there are some helpful details.

Humm, well, it looks like 256 is the way to go then.

I'm a little disappointed as I already have a few fairly CPU/sample hogging plugs - BFD, Spectrasonics, Scarbee, and some other big piano sets (albeit via EXS24 which is obviously highly optimised) - and haven't had any issues with 128 so far.

Thanks for the input, guys

Well, I have made a new test, setting Logic to 128.
    No problems with VGP (Jazz Wet preset), but it was an empty song. Probably you tried to add VGP to a song which was already heavy on Cpu (you could check the System Performance under Audio menu). That Jazz Wet preset, on my setup (G5 2X2, 2GB RAM, 250 GB INTERNAL ADDITIONAL HD, RME MULTIFACE PCI) can take from 6 to 30% of a single cpu usage (approx. figures, it depends on the way you play and how much polyphony you use), so if you add one of this plug to a "busy" song at a low buffer size (like 128), you could have some problems.
    Try to use dry presets first, you could always replace them with the wet (or recording styles ones) after tracking, while mixing (when you can raise the buffer size, even to 512 to save on cpu. This is always useful).

Of course EXS24's engine is more optimized, but it's always good to have more choices, especially talking about an inspiring piano like VGP ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Fab M.
    It could help to have the library on a separate hd (not your system disk, to make it clear), as well as getting as much ram as you can afford.
    If I have the sounds on my system disk that Logic is currently using, and I move the sounds to a separte HD, how do I tell Logic where to look for the moved sounds?

Thanks,
    Deigratia

Let the project manager in logic scan your disk or use EXS manager pro from Redmatica. Its a lot faster!

best
    Hans

Go Back to forum