• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Help on Mac and Giga settings !

Share/Bookmark

Re: Help on Mac and Giga settings !

Basically GigaStudio on a separate machine can be thought of as a hardware sampler. You will need a MIDI interface on the GIGA machine with 4 MIDI ins. These will be connected to 4 MIDI outs on your MIDI Timepiece box. Connect your outputs from the GIGA machine just as you would from any of your other MIDI gear. You\'ll use your sequencer just like you did to control your other MIDI gear.

Help on Mac and Giga settings !

Hello there,

I am currently a Mac based user of using Digital Performer with MIDI Time Piece AV and a lot of MIDI equipments/samplers.

I\'d like to know how to work with the Giga Sampler using Digital Performer as the secquencer, my questions are as follows :

1. If I set up a GigaStudio 160 with a PC, can I use it like an sampler ? How to make the connections between Giga/PC and the Mac while I compose and browse using the DP as the secquencer ?
    2. I plan to move into the Giga side, let a lot of my MIDI equipment retired, but I need to use DP and Mac as the secquencer. Use the Giga as a sampler. I need a lot of MIDI channels, Audio outputs, high resolations (24/96 or even higher..) on the Giga studio side. What kind of PC and Giga and accessories do you recomand me to use ?

For your reference, I am using Roland XV5080,2080,1080,Akai S-6000,MPC-2000,E-Mu E-Synth, Kurzweil PC-88 as the master keyboard. All samplers and MIDI equipment were full loaded with the max. ram and sound cards. Mac G4/733,1G Ram, 18G U2W HD, MIDI Time Piece AV ( Mac/PC compatiable ), 2408,24i, Digital Performer 3.02 as the secquencer. But for a better solution, I think Giga is the right direction to go.

Please Help !

Thanks in advance !

Hello Haydn, Thanks for your kind reply !
    I have some more questions :

1. What kind of PC configuration/specs
    should I choose ? CPU, RAM, HD,CD-RM...
    2. What kind of interface you think the best for GIGA sampler ? I mean the MIDI interface to use with Giga 160 and the sound card or firewire products ( say from MOTU 896 or 1296 kind of stuff - though I heard the latency from MOTU is not acceptable on this case ).
    3. I will use LCD monitors for the GIGA PC,
    What is the proper size for it ? 17\" or
    do I need a larger one ?
    4. I use ADSL for entering website, can I use this PC for website in order to down load any software of which Giga may needed or should I use another PC to achieve this ?

I really want to set up a Giga sampler to gradually replace all my iother samplers..
    * I need a lot of voices and output ports.
    * I need a huge sound libraries ( I have over 60G CD ROM libraries for AKAI and samplecells..)
    * I need huge Hardisks for playback and storage without burning the CPU...

So many questions ! Sorry to bother you guys, I need your help on this !

Thanks in advance !

I\'m a long-time Mac user, and started looking into GigaStudio about 3 months ago. The whole thing was a fog to me, until I stumbled onto Sound Chaser. Pete Snell, their director of computer sales, put together a GS system, based on what I wanted to do. I ended up with DP 3.02 on the Mac, a MOTU MIDI interface and 2408 audio interface, plus a rock-solid PC config for Giga. It\'s a complicated hookup, but it all works like a charm. I whipped up a graphic with the back panels of all my equipment, and had Pete \"connect the dots,\" which was very helpful. He really knows his stuff, and would probably spec your system differently from mine, based on what you\'re doing. But, if you\'re interested, I\'ll e-mail you a PDF file of my setup.

perry@steinhoffosta.com

------------------
    Perry S

I would recommend SoundChaser also if you what to get up and running quickly. You could build your own system for a little cheaper but then you need to get just the right components and you will need to learn how to configure the system for best performance. Building your own system will definitely cause a steep learning curve. You\'ll need to decide how much your time is worth. Would you rather be making music or building/tweaking computers? I build my own systems but I also do computer/network support as my day job.

The Soundchaser systems are setup to work right out of the box and come in a nice rackmount unit. They guarantee that you will get 160 voices. Actually the price they have them for puts them under the price of most of the hardware samplers. I believe you can order LCD monitors with them but you\'ll need to check it out. The LCD monitors usually do not have the resolution of the standard monitors and most will only display up to 1024x768 resolution. I run my system at 1280x1024 so the LCD\'s aren\'t quite up to snuff for me.

Hope this helps with your decisions.

Dear All,

Thanks for all of your inputs !
    I once heard there\'re other system similar to
    the Giga - also develope by Neme group that will support up to 512 voice system and that was built in a 4U size hard case. is there any one using it ?

I am trying to find a system to gradually replacing all my samplers to save the hustle and bustle of the storage problems !

Again, thanks for your comments !

It was built with four computers put together in one box, each running GigaSampler. I don\'t think it was ever really available; more of a trade show demo.

In any \"case\", getting multiple PCs will give you same effect.

Thanks Bill !
    I think I have the answer now !
    To save the learnning curve, go to Sound Chase\'s 3U Giga. Thnak youn !

I\'ll just echo what others have said: the folks at SoundChaser are great!

Very Good experience here with Sound Chaser - good response & even helpful tech support. As another long-time Mac person I was very apprehensive about entering the PC world, but having their system, pre-configured etc. made it easy, but you pay the little extra. Either way you go, Giga will change your life. Good luck.

Joel

Go Back to forum