• Register
  • Help

Topic: Thank-yous: Garritan, SCARBEE, Bela D Media, and Bornemark

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Thank-yous: Garritan, SCARBEE, Bela D Media, and Bornemark

Hey folks - I posted this in an update to my film festival thread (in the OT section), but I thought I'd expand things here a bit and say a hearty "thank you" to some companies that have granted me an amazing array of creative options in the studio.

The impetus for this post was the annoucement that "Sharkskin 6" received an award for best score in a feature film at this year's Shriekfest in Los Angeles. Deane Ogden was the primary composer on this gig - and he and all of his players did a fantastic job. The film is a mafia heist/thriller and included a lot of "rat pack" styled jazz cues as well as a good bit of orchestral underscoring. There was also an assortment of source cues that spanned styles and periods. I picked up a half dozen of those musical passages (with four making the final cut) that included an assortment of each type of cue.

It's a tribute to Garritan Personal Orchestra that my orchestral cues received sign-off and were laid in as-is right next to the rest of the score, which was performed live with Deane conducting 50+ players here in Los Angeles. Scarbee's Imperial Drums and J-Fingered Bass as well as Vintage Keyboard Effects held up their end with faithful reproduction of classic sounds - the FX receiving special mention, as they were also used on the guitar and keys. Speaking of guitar I've used Virtual Guitarist more times that I can count, this batch of cues being no exception - and Groove Agent provided the grooves that were later played by SID. I've said it before - Sven Bornemark's work there is nothing short of genius.

I'm really proud of the small part that I played in bringing Sharkskin 6 to the screen. But it doesn't end here - the director, Trevor King, has informed us that they are in final negotiations for distribution of the film.

Likewise, there's another project that Deane Ogden and I have seen pick up some heat on the festival circuit. We split the composition duties for a short film entitled "Deserted" that won the best short award at the Tahoe Film Festival this past August. Here again Garritan Orchestral Strings and Personal Orchestra (particularly the percussion) fill the screen. The director was looking for some female vocals to meander through some of the longer musical passages, and Bela D Media's DIVA series of sample libraries came to the rescue. I used both the virtual instruments and some of the phrases from "DIVA by Design" for portions of this score, and the effect was felt both musically and cinematically. And this film is also still alive and well - it will screen this Monday at the Westwood Film Festival.

I feel a great deal of enthusiasm and gratitude toward the developers that spend so many countless hours on providing us the best musical instruments in the world. It's gratifying to see these awards not only as an endorsement of the director or composer as creative decision-makers, but also provides a nod of acknowledement to those that produce the creative and technical tools we use every day. This is a great time to be alive, and we are fortunate to be surrounded by so many talented people that help us to make our dreams a reality.

Again, I say "thank you".
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Smile Re: Thank-yous: Garritan, SCARBEE, Bela D Media, and Bornemark

Congrats Houston. This is good news indeed. You are obviously cutting your path into the business and gaining higher ground all the time. Best of luck in the future buddy. You are providing inspiration for the rest of us.

Eric

Thumbs up Re: Thank-yous: Garritan, SCARBEE, Bela D Media, and Bornemark

Congratulations Houston and Deane! The day you guys hooked up the magic was in place. I am happy to have had a small part in that hook up.

Say hello to Deaneo for us.

FB
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Re: Thank-yous: Garritan, SCARBEE, Bela D Media, and Bornemark

Contrats, Houston. Guess that version of GPO that's in with the Finale 2006 upgrade might be worth checking out.

Howard

Congratulations Houston to both you and Deane.

It is very gratifying for a sample library developer to know that their library is helping musicians. That's what it's all about and reports like this make it all the more worthwhile.

Wishing you continued success. Thanks for sharing the good news and looking forward to hearing more success stories from you.

Gary Garritan

Congrats!!,
    "God is Love"

Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media
    Congratulations Houston and Deane! The day you guys hooked up the magic was in place. I am happy to have had a small part in that hook up.

Say hello to Deaneo for us.

FB
    Pretty funny how the world turns, eh? Back then Deane and I were both in very different places... and so it goes.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Go Back to forum