• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Mozart - Symphony No 40

Share/Bookmark

Mozart - Symphony No 40

It has been said that Mozart's music epitomizes grace, elegance and decorum. In his 40th symphony he stepped aside from that characterization and created something dark and noble. This is more like prototypical Beethoven. Here are the first and third movements of Mozart's Symphony No 40 in G minor, K.550.

1. Allegro Molto

3. Menuetto - Allegretto

One of the scores I have for this symphony has a note at the bottom of the first page indicating Mozart had 2 orchestrations for this work. Intrigued, I researched this. Originally the symphony had no clarinets. On 16-17 April, 1791 the Tonkunstler-Societat performed the symphony and apparently they had clarinetists available. Mozart added 2 clarinets and revised the oboes for that performance. This is the version with clarinets.
    I've skipped the repeat in the interest of band width.
    Last edited by valhalx; 09-28-2005 at 11:09 AM. Reason: typo
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Re: Mozart - Symphony No 40

Valhalx
    U never ever fail to amaze me, theres not a great deal I can say but this is fantastic I only wish I could do what u do!!!

Kind Regards and keep up that fantastic sound

Chris

This is my favorite 'Wolfie' symphony and I never tire of hearing it. G minor never sounded so good. I know each note of the entire work verbatim and yet, each time I listen to it, it's like magic! From the opening Eb in the strings melody to the last note of the final movement it is truly a masterpiece.

It is quite an undertaking by you and you did a great job. Thanks for all of your diligence and hard work.

Best regards,

LGA
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Valhalx:

Really enjoyed the listen. A lot of time and patience went into this piece and the result is worth every minute of it. I really enjoy your realizations. It must be rewarding as well as challenging to recreate the music of the masters.

Please keep them coming.......

Jack

GREAT!
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thumbs up Re: Mozart - Symphony No 40

Very good, Val.

An experiment I should plan, is to substitute the strings sections with ensamble maker sections, supported by solo violin in the "Violini I" part. It's to keep more the chamber orchestra sound. Did you already try?

A little editing is then possible to make the play more varied (using solo violins controllers that are more powerful than ensamble violins sections controllers).

The realism of your work is very attractive, and stimulate me to aim the perfection. Congratulations,

Fabio

Excellent work so far. I'm listening to the first piece now.

Just curious, were these done in Overture 4 as well?

Great work! I love Mozart (please forgive Salieri), and this is definitely one of his greatest symphonies (at least in my opinion). Mozart loves to do that rapid note repeat thing, which can easily give computerized versions of it that machine gun effect, but you did a great job. Thank for sharing. As Larry said, G minor never sounded so good . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Philzy
    I only wish I could do what u do!!!
    Thanks Chris and make no mistake about it, the sound you produce is awsome. I played your oriental piece for my girl friend and she really loved it.

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    This is my favorite 'Wolfie' symphony and I never tire of hearing it.
    Thanks Larry. This is also my favorite Mozart Symphony. I first heard it as a teen ager and was amazed. I've conducted it in the living room for many performances.

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    It must be rewarding as well as challenging to recreate the music of the masters.
    Thanks Jack. It is challenging and when I do manage to pull it off I feel as though as I've accomplished something.
    Bill

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast