• Register
  • Help

Topic: Multi-Disk GigaSampler Format

Share/Bookmark

Multi-Disk GigaSampler Format

Is there anyone who knows how to save an instrument to multiple CDRs in \"Multi-Disk GigaSampler format\"? The instrument I have made is too large to fit on one CDR.
    Thanks, Hans.

Re: Multi-Disk GigaSampler Format

Hello Hans,

I am curious about the multi-disk format myself, but in the meantime, I have a solution you can use.
    When I made my 1.05GB Steinway-C grand piano gigsampler instrument, it was too big to fit onto one CD-rom. Using zip compression, it was still just a bit too big to fit.
    However, compressing the *.gig file with RAR compression (using a program like WinRAR) using the \"best\" and \"multimedia\" compression settings, I was able to get the 1.05GB file compressed to only 270MB, which can easily fit onto a CD-rom.
    Regards,
    Warren Trachtman http://www.trachtman.org/pianosounds/

you can also use winzip and RAR to divide big files into CD-ROm fitting volumes!

Thanks for your tips, both of you.
    Is the process of compressing/decompressing completely lossless or do I loose some of the detail in the samples?

Does WinRar have \"self-extracting\" mode?

I do think that the \"MultiDisk\" format should be available to us. If the format really exists maybe Dave of Nemesys could shed some light on the issue.

Thanks again,
    Hans

[This message has been edited by Hans Adamson (edited 08-30-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Hans Adamson (edited 08-30-1999).]

Both RAR and ZIP compressions are completely lossless. The re-expanded file is bit-for-bit identical to the original. No sample quality/detail is lost.

Yes, RAR has a self-extracting mode. I use the self-extracting archive method for distributing my own Steinway-C piano gigainstrument, since this makes it much easier for the recipient. They don\'t have to worry about installing any of the compression software on their computer.

Regards,

Warren Trachtman http://www.trachtman.org/pianosounds/

It Sounds like you have found a solution using lossless compression, but you may still need the GigaSampler\'s Multi-Disk Format for the future, so here\'s some info on how to do it:

On CD #1 include a file called \"GSImport.ini\" which is a text file containing the following fields:

[GSVersion1]
    nInputDiskCount=2
    sOutputFileName=MyInstrument.gig
    nOutputFileSizeMB=980
    sOutputDisplayName=My Company My Instrument
    sHelpFile=MyInstrument.hlp
    sDisk1=MyInstrument_H1.gi!
    sDisk2=MyInstrument_H2.gi!

To split the instrument, just do a binary split leaving no segments greater than 650MB (to fit on the CD ROM)I actually used Cool Edit to do this in the \"RAW .PCM\" file mode as not to add any header data or change the binary data in any way.

The example above splits \"MyInstrument.gig\" into two parts, namely \"MyInstrument_H1.gi!\" for the first CD and \"MyInstrument_H2.gi!\" for the second CD. Note that A simple binary concatination of the two halves produces the original \"MyInstrument.gig\"
    verbatim.

Specify the size of your entire instrument (or even a little higher) in the \"nOutputFileSizeMB\" field. The example above yeilds an instrument of appx. 980MB

Also, be sure to put your help file on the last CD ( \"MyInstrument.hlp\" in the example above goes on the 2nd CD along with \"MyInstrument_H2.gi!\"

The User then Imports the instrument using the \"Multi Disk Format\" option in the GigaSampler\'s Import Dialog - in which case he is prompted to enter the 2nd CD, etc. after the first CD and handles the concatination, help file, and registers the instrument.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Sounds line a beautiful Steinway!! Did you use release triggers for the staccato notes?

Hello Jim,
    Thanks for sharing your expertise. Your directions were clear and concise, but I still have a few questions:

1. If saved uncompressed my instrument would require three cd\'s. How does that change the procedure?

2. What\'s a binary split?

3. Does Cool Edit load .gig files?

4. Do you know if SEK\'D Red Roaster/Samplitude will load the .gig file, perform a binary split, and save the file as .gi! ?

5. Would it be possible to rename the .gig file as .wav. Then import it to Red Roaster, and split it by saving two halves separately as .wav files. Finally renaming the two files as .gi! files?

6. I guess \"concatination\" means something like: \"gluing back together\" two pieces of data?

You are right that it is a grand piano. It\'s not Steinway but a marvellous Malmsjö from 1894. Without release triggers for the staccato notes.

I hope you don\'t mind my ignorance and that you have a few more answers to guide me through this.

Thanks again,

Hans

Hi Hans,

For a 3 disk CD, the field
    nInputDiskCount=3

where 3 is the number of CD\'s.

A binary split is a simple split of the data without any encoding or formatting whatsoever. In fact, in the example from my previous posting (describing how to do the Multi Disk format), you could literally concatenate (concatenate is the same thing as a butt splice) the data together using the DOS binary command:

copy /b MyInstrument_H1.gi! + MyInstrument_H2.gi! MyInstrument.gig

This butt splices the two halves (H1 + H2)together into the final .gig file.

As far as Cool Edit, it does not read .gig files, however if you \'Open As\' using type (.pcm Raw data), you can open the .gig file and then \'split\' it by using \'Save selection\', etc. Yes, this is a kludge, but it works.

After you \'split\' the file you could test it by splicing it back together (using the DOS \'copy /b ...\' as above) and compare it to the original using the DOS binary file compare \'fc /b ...\' as follows:
    \"fc /b MyInstrument.gig MyInstOriginal.gig\"

I hope this helps. Yes you could find more up-to-date file management programs than these DOS commands, but I guess old habits die hard if you\'re not afraid to show your age...
    Cheers, -jim

Go Back to forum