• Register
  • Help

Topic: Enough computer ?

Share/Bookmark

Enough computer ?

I have an extra PC lying around which is 1.1GHz, 512 MB, Win 98, 80 GB 7200 rpm 8ms seek ATA drive. I am just getting started with sampled sounds and initially would only be playing with perhaps only 4 or 5 instruments at once (string quartet or whatever) just to start playing.
    I would be using the computer JUST to host GPO and nothing else, using it with another main PC. Would GPO work on such a setup or would I be completely wasting my time ? A few fixes I could obviously do are add 512 MB, upgrade to XP, put SATA drive in. But I'd rather save the money and put it in a new computer specifically for GPO in a few months after I've dipped my toe and played a little.
    So, would such a computer be able to do anything w/ GPO for only a small ensemble such that I could at least see how GPO works, etc. ? If not, what would you upgrade (again with the objective in mind of saving as much as possible for a new computer). Please don't say: wait for the computer. I'm not sure I can stand waiting any longer to get my hands on GPO, even if it is severely limited by my initial setup.
    Thanks for any help,

Bob

Re: Enough computer ?

Quote Originally Posted by bcarwell
    ..... So, would such a computer be able to do anything w/ GPO for only a small ensemble such that I could at least see how GPO works, etc. ? If not, what would you upgrade (again with the objective in mind of saving as much as possible for a new computer). Please don't say: wait for the computer. I'm not sure I can stand waiting any longer to get my hands on GPO, even if it is severely limited by my initial setup.
    Thanks for any help,

Bob
    Hello Bob,

I'm not a great techno person but the heading 'What kind of computer and equipment is required for Personal Orchestra?' in the faq's might help. (Third one down from the top.)

Here is the link.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Just FYI, before I head off to sleep, it won't work in Windows 98 at all, to my knowledge.

Your other specs should be fine for piddling around, but you'll eventually need to step it up to a faster processor and some more RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by bcarwell
    So, would such a computer be able to do anything w/ GPO for only a small ensemble such that I could at least see how GPO works, etc. ?
    You will probably be able to do some small-scale things like string quartet or woodwind quintet but the CPU will likely be pushed rather quickly to the edge if you try larger ensembles. Joseph is correct, you will need to at least upgrade to XP to improve your chances. Using the computer for just GPO will get you a bit more mileage out of the 512 megs of RAM, allowing you to load more instruments than if you were also running a sequencer (which will usually eat up 50 to 200 megs all by itself).

Tom

Go Back to forum