• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: What exactly is VSL Opus 1 & 2? Are they "extras" or "light version"?

Share/Bookmark

What exactly is VSL Opus 1 & 2? Are they "extras" or "light version"?

I don't understand the concept behind the Opus 1 and 2 series from VSL (or maybe I just haven't found the right explanation yet). It seems that are selected from the Performance Set, so that makes them the "Light Versions" of the Performance Set? But they seem to be more than that. So how exactly does the Opus series fit into the VSL product line?

Re: What exactly is VSL Opus 1 & 2? Are they "extras" or "light version"?

Opus1 is the entry level version of Vienna Symphonic Library and it contains selected samples from the whole Pro Edition, not just the Performance Set.

I think the info on VSL site is pretty understandable: "It contains handpicked samples and Performance Elements from the Vienna Symphonic Library's Pro Edition. Our revolutionary Legato Performance instruments and a selection of the most important single note articulations allow for superior arrangements with the best possible realism."

Opus2 contains some instruments from the Pro Edition but also a lot from the Horizon series.

From the VSL site: "OPUS 2 expands the potential of OPUS 1 and the FIRST EDITION with additional articulations and further instruments. It also offers bonus files which include basic articulations of instruments from other Horizon Series titles, like Solo Strings, Epic Horns, French Oboe, or Woodwind Ensembles."

And about the Horizon series in general: "These 14 editions focus on specific instruments or instrument groups, with a heightened attention to detail and realism."

Gotcha. I gotta say, the way they structure their product line and write their product descriptions is a marketing nightmare. I'm a pretty smart guy, and I still have trouble understanding just what their product structure is sometimes.

For example, the description for Opus 1 does not make it clear that it's an entry level product--you have to read between the lines to catch that. If they had just said "Opus 1 is an entry level library which is made up of samples selected from the Symphonic Library and the Performance Set, and were selected because they are the most useful and important samples that could give you the highest quality and realism, despite the smaller size of the Opus 1 library." then I would've understood perfectly. I think they need to hire a better copywriter.

I'm glad it feels clearer now. I've had the Opus1 for a year now so maybe that's why the VSL site seems clear to me. Keep in mind that the VSL Pro Edition is 240 GB so the 25 GB Opus1 is "light" only when compared to its big brother.

I have Opus 1/2 (and Chamber Strings).

To me, "entry level" is not adequate to a VSL product, seems a bit reductive. "Light version" sounds better.

Let's say that as any other kind of thing producing sounds, Opus is a professional and complete package if you need right that articulations. Opus 2, then, nicely integrates Opus 1 with flautando tones, runs, repetitions, looped winds, muted brass and all the bonus contents described in VSL site.

Since I couldn't afford the Complete Orchestral box, I reached a good compromise adding to my shopping cart also Chamber Strings at reduced price (-30%) on last August, and got some more useful articulations (short staccato, performance legato/repeated notes and so on).

Now I have an "entry level" highly professional combo. Not bad indeed, for the money invested...

Just wondering, are the contents of Opus 1 & 2 taken directly from the Complete Library, without any new programming? If so, if someone already has the Complete Library, Opus 1 & 2 would be redundant? But I guess if someone has the First Edition of the Complete Library, then the Opus 1 & 2 would actually offer articulations not found in the First Edition?

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatique
    Just wondering, are the contents of Opus 1 & 2 taken directly from the Complete Library, without any new programming? If so, if someone already has the Complete Library, Opus 1 & 2 would be redundant? But I guess if someone has the First Edition of the Complete Library, then the Opus 1 & 2 would actually offer articulations not found in the First Edition?
    They have been reprogrammed to fit the smaller set of samples but I don't think there are any new features for GigaStudio or EXS. There's no Halion or Kontakt versions of the Pro Edition so the Opus1 has been fully reprogrammed for those.

Opus1 doesn't have anything that isn't included in the Pro Edition but it is more lightweight for laptop use. There isn't a discount for Pro Edition users to get the Opus1 but Opus1 price gets fully discounted when upgrading to the Pro Edition.

Opus1 has a lot of instruments that aren't included in the First Edition. Check the instrument lists in the VSL site for comparison.

Opus2 has instruments from the Horizon series and those aren't included in either First or Pro Edition of the full library. All the Horizon stuff in Opus2 are demos or extras and most likely Pro Edition owners will get the full Horizon products instead of the Opus2.

I know tons of composers who are really happy with Opus 1 and have no intention of upgrading to the full package. Heck I just got Kontakt2 and the 9 gigs of VSL you get there are so good I'm questioning if I even need to buy any VSL products.

One of the really great mockup artist once said that for any serious sample work Opus 1 was a no brainer. I don't think that you'll go wrong with that purchase no matter how it's being marketed and you may like it enough that you can save yourself 5 grand.

Ars

Yes, I guess that if one already has the Complete package, Opus 1/2 is redundant: with the Performance Set, for example, you should be able to select the exact Violin string (G, D, A, E) that is to be played.

In Horizon - alas! - you can't.

But with Horizon Chamber Strings you get a charming flautando gliss...

If you can afford the full package - get it!
    If you cannot, the Opus collection is an extremely well thought out selection. You can get very serious in your orchestration with it - there is nothing 'light' or 'entry level' about it. The only thing that is better is... why.. the complete package!

Go Back to forum