• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Why no MIDI mockups of famous guitar pieces?

Share/Bookmark

Why no MIDI mockups of famous guitar pieces?

We see people doing MIDI mockups/renditions of famous classical/film score stuff, but why don't people do it for famous guitar pieces (specifically rock music)?
    Last edited by Lunatique; 10-01-2005 at 09:13 AM. Reason: wrong forum

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Why no MIDI mockups of famous guitar pieces?

Because rockers are generally not nerds?

Edit: OK, that was the short answer.

The longer answer is this...

All MIDI mockups of existing work are something of a contrived effort. An orchestra is not the "sound" of an orchestra. It is a collective of musicians, a focusing of nearly 100 separate artistic sensibilities towards a common goal. An orchestra performance is more than the sum of the parts represented in the score.

BUT...due to its size, its reliance upon standardized articulations which are taught and polished in a certain tradition, etc., one can use really good samples to create a somewhat emotionally-valid performance. It's not the same, but because there is an inherent conductor/performance relationship where a single conductor does shape the final performance through a single artistic sensibility (to varying degrees to be sure), there is something of an analagous relationship to a person mocking up a piece vs. a conductor rehearsing and performing a piece.

The better the orchestra, the less this is true, since a really hot, world-class orchestra has the caliber of musicians that a conductor is not going to spoon-feed interpretations to. He'd get "hated" off the podium...only an extremely respected conductor is going to climb up on the podium of a world class orchestra and tell the players "how to play" a phrase. He can express his goals, but he won't be given the opportunity to take complete control. Too many alpha dogs in the mix. So, this analogous relationship certainly has degrees.

But as far as famous guitar pieces and rock bands' performances go, mocking up something like that in MIDI is a far more contrived exercise, because each instrument's performance is an expression of an individual to a much greater degree.

So, mocking up a rock performance is much more "dancing about architecture" than taking a conductor role in mocking up a given orchestral piece.

That would be my take.

Mocking up a really famous rock piece would be rather like building the perfect girl robot. You can do it. But would you want anyone to know you were having with her? Probably not.

Also, developers aren't allowed to use works that are not in the public domain to sell their libs. So, as much as I love my Dream Theater, Tool, Rage Against the Machine, Black Sabbath and Linkin Park 'Lyrical Distortion' mock-ups, I can't ever post them.
    Last edited by Alan Lastufka; 10-01-2005 at 01:28 PM. Reason: my horrible grammers
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

hmmmm....because MIDI guitar mock ups sound like ~~~~?
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson

Mocking up a really famous rock piece would be rather like building the perfect girl robot. You can do it. But would you want anyone to know you were having with her? Probably not.
    No sir, I definitely wouldn't want anyone to know about it.
    (But just between you and me, can you get me that perfect girl robots phone number )
    regards

Bruce - Awesome explanation. Much better the second time around, as opposed to that nerd thing.

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    No sir, I definitely wouldn't want anyone to know about it.
    (But just between you and me, can you get me that perfect girl robots phone number )
    regards
    Dude, you gotta think outside the box. The whole point of having a perfect girl robot is so that you'd OWN her as the master, and her the slave. Yet here you are, begging for a phone number? Sheesh!

Guitars are hard to emulate. As for me, I'm primarily a guitar player, so I'd rather record myself than sequence some other person's set-up. Like many guitar players, I am finicky when it comes to my set-up. I also want MY tone, not someone else's...especially if it's ANOTHER PRS/Mesa set-up (ugh).

a) Because there's 16 guitarists in each neighbourhood.

b) Musicians that have spent so much time learning how to mock-up, usually have expanded their setup to a good microphone as well. So they call their neighbours to play guitar.

c) You don't hear guitar in movies or other media often, it doesn't "Pass" at our times. What passes now is fast percussion so everyone is learning their percussion mock-up chops.
    I guess that when Hans Zimmer starts using a lot of guitar in his excellent tracks, everyone will start mocking up guitar since it will be the new "You gotta get the sound that clients love to make money" standard.

d) Do Robot Chicks dream of electric sheep?

Over and out....Tshhhh.
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Quote Originally Posted by Theodor
    I guess that when Hans Zimmer starts using a lot of guitar...
    Nice.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatique
    Dude, you gotta think outside the box. The whole point of having a perfect girl robot is so that you'd OWN her as the master, and her the slave. Yet here you are, begging for a phone number? Sheesh!
    Thanks for the Advice,man.You are right of course.
    Note to self...."I must think outside of the box ".......
    I am gonna give Perfect Girl Robot a piece of my mind,and show her who's boss.(Staring at shoes .....if that's ok with her,that is.....)
    regards

Go Back to forum