• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which part of making music do you enjoy or hate?

Share/Bookmark

Which part of making music do you enjoy or hate?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Just wondering how everyone else feels about the different aspects of making music. Some people hate dealing with the recording engineering aspect and wishes that someone else could do it for them instead, and some people don't mind tweaking the mix, effects, and fine-tuning the mastering. Some people only like composing, and would rather have someone else do the arrangement/orchestration, while some loves arranging/orchestrating, and find composing to be frustrating. Some people love playing instruments more than composing, and some people are better at composing than playing instruments. What about you?

I personally enjoy just about every step of the process, and even when things are frustrating, it's still fun. But if I have to name one thing I really don't enjoy, it's the technical troubleshooting of software/hardware problems, organizing samples, wasting time auditioning hundreds of presets to find the sound I need..etc.

Re: Which part of making music do you enjoy or hate?

When I compose, I hate it what I have to stop the "flow" to find the right sound or figure out some technical issue with a plug-in or a Sonar routing.

It often cools the inspiration that is causing my brain to generate exciting arrangements!

So I strive to have a "basic band" that I can work out the fundamental song and arrangement with.

And yeah, the recording/mixing thing is not as much fun for me...unless my "sweetening" adds even more to the song...then the inspiration kicks in again!

--- Glenn in Minneapolis, MN

I love it all, but the most frustrating parts for me are the mixing, effects, mastering etc. mostly because I don't understand it and I'm not very good at it (yet).

When I'm working well (which is not very often) I'll mouse in the music using GPO's Steinway as the only instrument and work out the harmonic bugs...then start trying out different instrumentations...that part is the purest joy for me.

;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

I write usually for an ensemble: Ac Guitar, Cello, Ac Bass, Clarinet or Eng Horn, and Piano. Ill mock it up and then print out the notation for the players.

What I love the most is hearing, for the first time, a piece played back by live players and the live nuances that I cant get with MIDI.

What I dislike the most is how difficult it can be sometimes to get a piece recorded to my satisfaction.

Mostly, I hate the "business" of it.

It's all good. Let's face it. It's the guy flippin' burgers at McD's that's got it bad. Not us.

Ars

Love MAKING music - hate the politics man...hate the politics

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Is it sacrilege to say that I enjoy having written the most?

Go Back to forum