• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO & GPOA - Interchangable?

Share/Bookmark

GPO & GPOA - Interchangable?

A possibility? Would it pay to still use both?

Write a sketch with GPO on yer laptop.

Take that sequencer file, copy to you big guns DAW.

Play your file back with GPOA, same response and instrument layout no fuss no mess, very little tweaking, just sounds better???

Will they be interchangable for at least 70 to 80 percent of the sounds?

Re: GPO & GPOA - Interchangable?

Hmm, that sounds like wishful thinking.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42
    Hmm, that sounds like wishful thinking.
    Me too, but a potentially cool idea.

You work with the lite version as long as you can, then finish in the Advanced. You could write on the road more in the lite version, knowing it could mostly all translate to your advanced DAW with your advanced GPO.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamix
    A possibility? Would it pay to still use both?

Write a sketch with GPO on yer laptop.

Take that sequencer file, copy to you big guns DAW.

Play your file back with GPOA, same response and instrument layout no fuss no mess, very little tweaking, just sounds better???

Will they be interchangable for at least 70 to 80 percent of the sounds?
    We are working on making GPOA as backwards compatible as possible. We will use many of the same conventions and the same system - like mod wheel for dynamic, sustain pedal for legato, keyswitch consistency, etc.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    We are working on making GPOA as backwards compatible as possible. We will use many of the same conventions and the same system - like mod wheel for dynamic, sustain pedal for legato, keyswitch consistency, etc.

Gary Garritan
    Hi Gary,

does this mean the legato instruments will still be using C64 messages, as well as the keyboards, so there will be the conflict that there still is at the present with using piano with sustain, and instruments in legato mode?

That would be good to know ahead of time if possible.
    thanks for any info on this Gary.

I would think that if you were to write something for GPOA, you should use GPOA. That way you can tweak and tweak and tweak untill the cows come home to make it sound perfect. Plus, GPO doesn't have the Wagner tuba, and all the other cool new instruments that are going to be in there.

Not to go OT, but this just occured to me. When GPOA was first heard of questions were thrown all around about new instruments. Then as time went on the questions were more about programming. Interesting...

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    I would think that if you were to write something for GPOA, you should use GPOA

-Chris
    Hi Chris,

The thing that concerns me is whether GPOA = GPO plus additional instruments or whether there will be fundamental differences, not just to the programming techniques but to the current instrument set. From previous posts, I have gained the impression that the existing instruments will remain unchanged which would maintain backward compatibility / interoperability - but I don't know this for certain.

If the programming conventions change, it would be good to have a 'GPO mode' option built into GPOA.

Either way, I'm looking forward to GPOA and that Wagner Tuba!

Regards, Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    We are working on making GPOA as backwards compatible as possible. We will use many of the same conventions and the same system - like mod wheel for dynamic, sustain pedal for legato, keyswitch consistency, etc.Gary Garritan
    Precisely what I was hoping for...yes folks, dreams do come true! And if GPO was just that, then GPOA promises to be even better.

Thanks Mr. G!

There may be somewhat of a misconception going on here. It is "Wagner Tuben" not "Wagner Tuba". It is much more like a French Horn than it is a Tuba.

Tom

Submitting in Tech support area also under:
    1st Laptop experiment with GPO/DP project from Desktop

G4 1 Ghz
    w/MOTU Traveler
    Mac OS 10.3.9
    Memory 512

Well, I just tried my first experiment working with GPO & DP on my laptop while traveling this weekend. On my desktop DAW I saved a version of my piece with all the tracks 'frozen' into a rough stereo mix, sans the GPO MIDI tracks I wanted to work on while traveling. I did this to account for lower processing power of the laptop.

I copied this onto a portable firewire drive and toted it along.

I installed GPO on the laptop and updated it.

I copied the DP piece from the firewire drive onto my laptop.

When I launched it, the file clearly was waking up in a foreign land. It wanted the GPO samples from the exact file path from my desktop system and displayed the following message.

I couldn't get it to find them in the laptop system. So I created a new file and copied the stereo mix and existing GPO MIDI data into the new file and was on my way. The new DP file knew the proper path for my GPO stuff in the laptop system.

Anyway, seems that unless your using an identical file hierarchy for both laptop and desktop, this isn't gonna be easy.

Also, anytime there were a run of notes in GPO the audio would slow down and crackel, picking up in the less dense portions of the piece. And that's only one line of MIDI with GPO loaded with two instruments and a single stereo track playing. Maybe I need more memory...

I got my work back into the desktop by opening the laptop file from the firewire drive. Once again, the desktop balked at not knowing the path for GPO. I copied my MIDI tracks and closed the file, then open my original file and pasted the data.

Alota work.

Still, I'm hoping to make this laptop thing work easier, cause I'm on the run quite a bit.

Go Back to forum