• Register
  • Help

Topic: Key Remapping bug in GS3?

Share/Bookmark

Key Remapping bug in GS3?

When I choose channel properties upon clicking on an instrument in GS3.12, I get the window for key remapping...great! Problem is, when I drag a key from my source to a new destination, there is no sound that comes from the new destination key.
    I brought this to the attention of Tascam tech support today, and after 4 hours someone called back and left a message with instructions that were frankly and suprisingly backwards (he said to drag from destination to source). Hmm oh well, maybe it was a busy day there. I'll try again tomorrow.
    At any rate, has anyone else experienced this remapping issue?

Re: Key Remapping bug in GS3?

Quote Originally Posted by maxwebster
    I brought this to the attention of Tascam tech support today, and after 4 hours someone called back and left a message with instructions that were frankly and suprisingly backwards (he said to drag from destination to source). Hmm oh well, maybe it was a busy day there. I'll try again tomorrow.
    At any rate, has anyone else experienced this remapping issue?
    You may look here, if you like

Matt

Thanks for directing my attention Matt, this does solve the problem. However, when you remap the key to a new destination, now both the original key and the remapped key trigger the same sound. It would be nice if only the remapped key would play the sound. I don't suppose that is possible...or is it?

Quote Originally Posted by maxwebster
    .... when you remap the key to a new destination, now both the original key and the remapped key trigger the same sound. It would be nice if only the remapped key would play the sound. I don't suppose that is possible...or is it?
    Yes it is.. You only have to remap the original key to another key.... at the moment both keys are mapped to the same note.

By remapping you do not really link sounds to different keys, but rather produce a second "filter" for incoming midi- notes in the midi channel; this is a property of the midi channel, not of the instrument.

Let me explain:
    Load (from the Larry Seyer Demo) only one single Instrument, e.g. the Montineri Sidestick, into midi channel 1.
    There is only one sound: the sidestick, played by the note C#2.
    Now, in "Channel Properties", drag the Source Key F2 (also called "original key") onto the destination key C#2 (also called "new key").
    Now, every time an incoming midi note F2 is arriving, it is remapped to C#2 and therefore plays the stick, because every incoming F2 will be changed into a C#2, and the stick is still linked with C#2 in the instrument, as you can see in the instrument editor.
    When the midi note C#2 arrives, it is not changed at all, because it has not been remapped, and therefore also plays the stick.

If you want C#2 to play a different sound, you have to remap it to a different key: drag the source key C#2 to dest key C3.
    Now, still an incoming F2 will play the stick (because Gigastudio changes (remappes) it into a C#2), but an incoming C#2 will play nothing, because it is changed into a C3, and there is no sound linked to C3.
    If there was any sound linked to C3, it would now be played by the note C#2, but also by the note C3, as long as C3 is not remapped to anything else......

Let's look at the remapping function as a map, working in a certain midi channel.
    As long as a key is not remapped, it will always remain unchanged
    and play itself, after being remapped, it will be changed to the key it was remapped to and play the latter.
    So this map changes certain notes (the remapped source keys) to different ones (the corresponding destination keys), all the other ones remain unaltered.

Yes, at first this is a little complicated, because we tend to think in a different manner... once you understood the function, it's easy.
    The most important step is: not to see remapping as a changement in sound - key - relation (so it is *not* a feature of an instrument), but as a way to change incoming midi notes into different ones (therefore it is a part of the *channel* properties....).

Well, at least is this the way that I understood it... after a rather long time <g>

Matt

I much appreciate the light you shed on this issue.

You're welcome!

Go Back to forum