• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Summertime" - 1st MIDI Project ever, feedback wanted

Jersey City, NJ (sort of...)

"Summertime" - 1st MIDI Project ever, feedback wanted

Hi all,

Okay, so not only is my first piece with GPO, but it's the first thing I've ever done using MIDI of any kind.

I bought a digital home studio setup a few months ago, and used this project to learn how to use what I bought. What a learning experience! When I started this, I knew next to nothing about MIDI (I have a little experience with digital audio) and had never heard of "VST". I had to learn Cubase LE, Groove Agent, and of course, GPO. Oh yeah, and I had never done any traditional orchestration (only jazz arranaging). The first 2 months were reading, trial, and lots of error. The third month I actually started making music!

so here is the first of many....

This is a link to a website dedicated to my Digital Home Studio work. There's only one thing there right now. It is an arrangement of Gershwin's "Summertime". I would appreciate feedback, especially on how to get the lead instruments to "sing" a little more, or better mixing/balance.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Re: "Summertime" - 1st MIDI Project ever, feedback wanted

Wow man that is a wonderful debut.!! Nice Bass playing too.Personally I would have liked the Bass to walk when the drums pick it up, but nothing wrong with your way of doing it either.
    I would be tempted to dial back the reverb a little, but that it is highly subjective and no 2 people seem to agree on that one.
    Very imaginative. Can't wait to hear what you will do with the Jazz Library.

UK- teeming with life....

Love the arrangement and the feel. What a great start.....you are using controllers in a good way already. This wouldn't sound right without at least some use.

PS I'm in a similar, if not worse, position in that I have a daunting amount of software to face....but I do know my way around MIDI.

Thumbs up Re: "Summertime" - 1st MIDI Project ever, feedback wanted

Wow: if you do it with GPO and Groove agent, you must check JABB (Gary's jazz new big library).

The only weakness (as you say) in your piece is the lead classic sound: the new samples set included in JABB may really help you to reach the sound you are looking for.

P.S. I agree with Joaz's taste for walking bass...

Jersey City, NJ (sort of...)

As is quite obvious, I can't wait for JABB! Fabio, do have an advance copy? I was hoping I would have it by the time I finished doing this. anyway, now I'm broke, so even if it was out, I couldn't go get it immediately...

There will be many more standards to come (watch for the posts) , and there will lots of walking bass lines. Again, I'm kinda waiting for JABB before I start the more jazz-type stuff. Now I'm working on "Over the Rainbow" for String Quartet + Woodwind Quartet (although that could change).

Thanks for listening and for the feedback guys.

Nigam Shah:

A great start with GPO and your effort in learning MIDI is a tremendous accomplishment. You have come a long way in a short time and I look forward to hearing all of the music your put our way.

It must be a kick to play a "live" instrument with your mix. I've done it with piano and even started doing interactive pieces whereby you can play your MIDI back and play your acoustic piano along with it. It's a great practice idea and works in many different ways: repeating passages, slowing down tempi in difficult parts of the piece, etc.

Please accept my congratulations on a job well done and as a first-time effort: AWESOME!

Jack Cannon
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Wow! Great debut! And musically, a darned fine interpretation and rendition of this venerable classic.

Well done, Nigam Shah! I enjoyed listening to this!

Thumbs up Re: "Summertime" - 1st MIDI Project ever, feedback wanted

WOW: simply great!!!
    I cannot image what you will be able to do with Gary's JABB!!!
    My God is simply fantastic!!

Wine Country, Colorado

This is superb not only as a first effort but just plain superb. I kept thinking this is the real thing, not samples. You should be able really dazzle with JABB. Will be looking for future additions to your project.
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

very good! thanks for sharing!

might be that you had some technical difficulties but your musical competence is the only thing I can hear in that song.

that song never gets boring to hear... no matter in which version you hear it.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast