• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Suddenly no memory

Share/Bookmark

Suddenly no memory

I have been using the GPO with Omega Lexicon outboard sound, an M-Audio keyboard, Cubase LE and Kontakt. Previously I was having pretty good results - but now suddenly as soon as I use more than 8 instruments, the system simply can't handle it. I am not using GPO Studio and all instruments are being loaded dry. I have 1 GB of RAM, and am using a Pentium 4 CPU with 1500 mHz.

No new programs have been added, I de-fraged the hard drives and checked for viruses. All negative. Any ideas?

Re: Suddenly no memory

Yea, you've run out of computer power with the 1.6gig P4. Unfortuneately you can't use the normal workaround for that, which is to freeze the tracks thus freeing up cpu power, because LE doesn't have that capability, or at least I don't think it does. To check, open the VSTi rack where you inserted the Garritan GPO Kontakt Player, and see if there is a small "snow flake" looking round icon at the top left of the slot where you entered the Player. If it's there, then click on it and that will "freeze" the track, ie, it will mix all eight tracks down to a stereo audio track, and let you do more sequencing.

I'm using Cubase SX-3.1 on a 2.66 gig P4 with 1 gig of ram and I run out of computer power with ten tracks of ensemble string orchestra and have to freeze the midi tracks in order to stop the pops, clicks and stutters.

However, that only goes so far and then you will simply have maxed out what that computer is capable of and will need to get a new, more powerful one if you want to do more.

Tom

You haven't specified: are you using DFD streaming in GPO to serve up your samples?

Also, when you say "8 instruments", do you mean one GPO plugin with 8 loaded sounds, or do you mean 8 separate instances of the plugin?

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

I'm using a P4, 2.66 gig and 2 gig ram, Cubase SE. I'm not finding the "snowflake" icon. Maybe freeze is not an option in LE either? I can do 8 tracks of midi and 8 tracks of audio before experiencing problems however so far nothing more than slight clicks. Still annoying to say the least.
    Styxx

Yes, I went into Cubase LE and it does NOT have midi track freeze capability. So no luck on that one.

Styxx, one thing you can do is to try recording all the tracks you want/can get and then go into the devices menu and then to the sound card and increase the latency to at least 24 ms. When you are finished tracking and start mixing, the latency doesn't matter and it will stop a lot of the popping and clicking so you can get a decent mixdown and then export to audio.

Tom

Ah - yes, well, I was afraid that was the case.

Now the million dollar question. If your SX-3 on a 2.66 gig Pa with 1 gig of RAM doesn't do it - what in the world does one need to run the possible 84 tracts of instruments with a variety of effectds as would be needed to complete a competitive film score?

Quote Originally Posted by TomcatII
    Yea, you've run out of computer power with the 1.6gig P4. Unfortuneately you can't use the normal workaround for that, which is to freeze the tracks thus freeing up cpu power, because LE doesn't have that capability, or at least I don't think it does. To check, open the VSTi rack where you inserted the Garritan GPO Kontakt Player, and see if there is a small "snow flake" looking round icon at the top left of the slot where you entered the Player. If it's there, then click on it and that will "freeze" the track, ie, it will mix all eight tracks down to a stereo audio track, and let you do more sequencing.

I'm using Cubase SX-3.1 on a 2.66 gig P4 with 1 gig of ram and I run out of computer power with ten tracks of ensemble string orchestra and have to freeze the midi tracks in order to stop the pops, clicks and stutters.

However, that only goes so far and then you will simply have maxed out what that computer is capable of and will need to get a new, more powerful one if you want to do more.

Tom

And what exactly does "the system can't handle it" entail?

I highly doubt this is a memory issue. It's most likely CPU in relation to sound card latency. (or disk access time in the case of DFD mode)

More details please?

- m

VST Instrument 1 - PersonalOrchestraVST with 8 instruments

Quote Originally Posted by Markleford
    You haven't specified: are you using DFD streaming in GPO to serve up your samples?

Also, when you say "8 instruments", do you mean one GPO plugin with 8 loaded sounds, or do you mean 8 separate instances of the plugin?

- m

Hi Markleford,

What I mean by that is insufficient CPU power, ie, not enough capability to perform the required actions due to lack of enough CPU cycles. A 3.2 or higher P4 will run a LOT more tracks than a 2.66 gig P4 will but no where near as many as an Athlon 64x2 4400+ with 2 gigs of ram will run.

My present way of working is to freeze tracks and regain some processing power. I also raise the latency after tracking because it doesn't matter while mixing, but I can't track accurately if it's too high. I use 7.8ms while tracking and 24ms or more while mixing and it cuts down on pops and clicks.

What I'm really waiting for is 64 bit systems with the ability to run dual or quad core CPUs and 8 or more gigs of ram .

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis
    VST Instrument 1 - PersonalOrchestraVST with 8 instruments
    So, what would happen if you had two GPO instances with 4 instruments each?

I'm just trying to figure out if it's the number of plugins or the number of instruments that is the true issue here!

- m

Go Back to forum