• Register
  • Help

Topic: How much to charge for orchestrating MIDI?

Share/Bookmark

How much to charge for orchestrating MIDI?

Hello,

Someone has asked me to take their MIDI mockup and notate in full score for orchestra. I was curious what is a reasonable price to charge for this type of service? Should I include extracting parts in this fee or is that an extra service? I would like some guidance from those who are more experienced in the business end than I am.

I am thinking they pay half the amount at the start of the project and the rest upon delivery of the full score.

I would like to turn this project into the composer considering me as their preferred orchestrator for future gigs so I don't want to overprice myself (nor underprice myself). I looked around for discussion threads on this topic but couldn't find much about orchestration so I apologize if this has already been covered.

Thanks

Re: How much to charge for orchestrating MIDI?

Actually you should check out with the musicians' union. Orchestrators, unlike composers, have set fees and a union.

Do a search on Google for orchestrators and union and I think you'll find your answer.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Well.. MIDI orchestration isn't quite the same as orchestration in the traditional sense, right? They're two different sets of skills (with some overlaps).

This is an interesting question that I too would like to see answered.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Quote Originally Posted by karimelm
    Hello,

Someone has asked me to take their MIDI mockup and notate in full score for orchestra. I was curious what is a reasonable price to charge for this type of service? Should I include extracting parts in this fee or is that an extra service? I would like some guidance from those who are more experienced in the business end than I am.

I am thinking they pay half the amount at the start of the project and the rest upon delivery of the full score.

I would like to turn this project into the composer considering me as their preferred orchestrator for future gigs so I don't want to overprice myself (nor underprice myself). I looked around for discussion threads on this topic but couldn't find much about orchestration so I apologize if this has already been covered.

Thanks
    Hey buddy congrats on the gig!

Stick to union rates on this one if possible. The guy that posted above me seems confused on the issue. What you're doing is orchestration and has a set rate per page.

If you extract parts that's different. That's called music preparation and that has a set rate per page too and a rate for number of copies of a single part. Vln is one part and then gets copied several times.

The union in LA has it all sorted out nicely. Just make sure that you seperate out the functions of an orchestrator vs. a music copyist( music prep.). Because believe me if you don't you'll end up doing a lot of tedious music prep work that actually takes more time than orchestrating and is very costly too.

Cheers,

Ars

Go Back to forum