• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Calling All Christians: Is This True?

Share/Bookmark

Calling All Christians: Is This True?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Here's an important statistic to ponder: 45 percent of Americans hold a creational view of the world, discounting Darwin's theory of evolution. I don't think it is a coincidence then that in a nation where nearly half our people believe in creationism, much of the populace also doubts the certainty of climate change science. Contrast that to other industrial nations where climate change science is overwhelmingly accepted as truth; in Britain, for example, where 8l% of the populace wants the government to implement the Kyoto Treat. What's going on here? Simply that millions of American Christians accept the literal story of Genesis, and they either dismiss or distrust a lot of science - not only evolution, but paleontology, archeology, geology, genetics, even biology and botany. To those Christians who believe that our history began with Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, and that it will end soon on the plains of Armageddon, environmental science with its urgent warnings of planetary peril must look at the best irrelevant. At worst the environmental woes we report may be stoically viewed as the inevitable playing out of the end of time as presented in the book of Revelation. For Christian dominionists who believe the Lord will provide for all human needs and never leave us short of oil or other resources, no matter how we overpopulate the earth, our reporting may be viewed as a direct attack on biblical teachings that urge humans "to be fruitful and multiply." It's even possible that among many Christian conservatives, our environmental reporting - if they see it at all - could seem arrogant in its assumptions, mechanistic, cold and godless in its world view. That's a tough indictment, but one that must be faced if we want to understand how these people get their news.

From a speech by Bill Moyers

Re: Calling All Christians: Is This True?

It never ceases to amaze me how stupid people in the media are. What a load of confused garbage. It doesn't make any sense at all. And the importance is all screwed up.

Global warming is the least of our worries here on Earth. I grew up in Arizona. It was 104 in the summer in 1975 and its 104 in the summer now. No warmer or cooler just hot.

Now, poluted environment, nuclear weapons, terrorism those are the things that really threaten life on Earth and they'll destroy Earth a lot faster than this Global warming cry.

It's not confused, Ars, it's 100% true.

Global warming is real, and it's not at all the least of our worries. Most scientists believe that man-made greenhouse gases (and farts from livestock - seriously) are contributing to that.

You can't point to the weather some place and draw any conclusions. The temperature is rising by .1 degrees every year overall on average. Every year the polar ice gets smaller. In California, for example, global warming is going to mean we'll have less snow and therefore less drinking water.

It's real, and it's time to do what we can about it. Not signing the Kyoto Accords is a terrible idea. It's going to cost us lots more in the long run than it would cost us to do what we can to reduce gas emissions now.

This thought process may be because of the "rapture" type thinking. "It's all going to burn" etc. that is very popular in the sub-culture of the American Christian. Just take a look @ the popularity of the Left Behind Series. I am willing to bet that the Christians of history...think of your Calvin, Luther, Wesley, Edwards...would have thought such writing sensationalistic to say the least. Especially since the theology of it didn't even come about till a little over a hundred years ago!

Christians need to take seriously the aspect of dominion which does not mean "raping" a planet. Being responsible.

I do not know alot about global warming and so cannot comment. But I do find it odd that Christians of equal ignorance are willing to dismiss it for polictical expediancy. Which may be Capitalistic....just not wise and hence....what someone serving the God of the bible should be seeking...i.e. see Proverbs!
    conga

Quote Originally Posted by congalocke
    This thought process may be because of the "rapture" type thinking. "It's all going to burn" etc. that is very popular in the sub-culture of the American Christian. Just take a look @ the popularity of the Left Behind Series. I am willing to bet that the Christians of history...think of your Calvin, Luther, Wesley, Edwards...would have thought such writing sensationalistic to say the least. Especially since the theology of it didn't even come about till a little over a hundred years ago!

Christians need to take seriously the aspect of dominion which does not mean "raping" a planet. Being responsible.

I do not know alot about global warming and so cannot comment. But I do find it odd that Christians of equal ignorance are willing to dismiss it for polictical expediancy. Which may be Capitalistic....just not wise and hence....what someone serving the God of the bible should be seeking...i.e. see Proverbs!
    conga
    Well put, conga. And you're right on about that Left Behind Series. It was based on a vision of Margaret Macdonald a long time ago in Scotland. Edward Irving took it and ran with it. It has no scriptural basis at all. Of course, neither does a lot of the crap that present day HypoChristian/Politicians spew out.

People would be smart to read the what/why/whens of the book of Revelation (and a whole lot of other books of the Bible) It was written at a time when symbolism was necessary to avoid being persecuted.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Danimal,

Was Edward Irving part of the Plymouth Bretheran? I don't remember much about it except that there was this girl that had a dream and poof....it was used for some reason. I'd be interested in going somewhere to read the paticulars.

Thanks
    conga

He was MacDonald's pastor at the time....actually a Presbyterian who continued on with the Pentecostal movement. Google it and you'll find it. There are tons of links out there and I don't want to give you a bad one with bad information.

I can't believe grown men are worried about the weather.

Here's the statistics. http://www.junkscience.com/MSU_Temps/MSU1278-0805.gif

If you can find a warming trend in that I'd be suprised.

Ars

I have gone ahead and interpreted the graph in that link for you all to help facilitate discussion.

Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Brian.... You kick ~~~!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast