• Register
  • Help

Topic: Here's an idea: Apply Solo Strad technology to JABB!

Here's an idea: Apply Solo Strad technology to JABB!

Imagine the fluidity of the Solo Strad applied to the JABB library. Imagine the fluidity of the saxophones and woodwinds with the new sonic morphing technology?

The JABB saxophones would be phenomenal if this technology was applied. Imagine being able to do all those awesome licks with the fluidity and expression that only a human player or a Yamaha VL70-m with the Patchman Turbo VL chip could perform?

It's been a serious long-standing problem that sample libraries have suffered - lack of human fluidity in the woodwinds, brass and strings department. Pianos - no problem, vibraphones, xylophones, glockenspeils - no problem, harpsichords, organs, clavinets - no problem...they are keybed instruments and the only human aspect is the velocity at which the keys are struck either with mallet or by pressing with fingers. Pretty simple stuff.

When it comes to woodwinds, brass and stringed instruments - you have a much bigger issue - the expression - the sliding and twisting of the bows on a violin, the breath modulation and reed bending on a sax or clarinet, the pressure of the breath on a trumpet. Sampling just cannot do that (or at least it seems) with either quickness or fluidity.

Solo Strad appears to have fixed the problem as far as bowed instruments go (well, the violin anyway, it would be nice if all bowed instruments were covered too )...but brass and woodwinds (and guitars too) still sadly suffer from the problem and sorry to say but it's a big problem.

Re: Here's an idea: Apply Solo Strad technology to JABB!

his is the first pass, the tip of the iceberg. When Strad has been tweaked and the initial release bugs ironed out, then the concept will be able to be applied to other instruments.

If they try now, and there is any significant bug, it could mean re-doing a lot of work, and why do that for more than one instrument.

I suspect (no reason, it just seems to make sense to me) that after the violin will come the rest of the strings, then the trumpet, and bone, then finally saxes.

Even though we need these now, the logical progression is from easy to hard, and sax is definitely the hardest...

If you can stand the wait (it will be worth it, I'm sure,) JABB II, the Sequel, will be able to make use of the Strad concepts and we will be playing big band charts till the cows come home (or leave because of the racket!)
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

I agree with you there. I think that the technology should eventually apply to all of the monophonic instruments - all the brass, woodwind (including sax) and the bowed instruments which would benefit the most from this technology.

Imagine doing Euphonium slurs all the way down an octave and a half with triple-note steps from the top note? That would sound phenomenal. This may be possible but I'm not sure exactly how the technology would be applied to existing samples (like ones in JABB and upcoming GPOA)? Do they just run a special program through the samples or is there something a lot more technical involved? I'm sure they would need to record a lot more saxophone samples to get a realistic sax. From ppp to fff I'd say since the saxophone has a tremendous dynamic and tonal range in any given note.

Wow...I think that would take quite some time to pull off...but it is possible I guess.

In all brutal honesty I think physical modelling will probably be in full vogue by the time these Sonic Morphing enabled sounds are released...and physical modelling is far superior to any sampling or sonic morphing that is of course providing that the physical model is tonally and acoustically correct and plays well, otherwise the samples and sonic morphing would be superior...well, I guess superior right now since a lot of the PMs just sound like...well, uhm, synthetic spaghetti is one way to put it, but in a few years time I'm sure PMs will improve several fold from what they are now.

Imagine Tassman running at 128 bit in the year 2015 (if it's still around by then)? You'll probably have 64 notes of polyphony and the entire range of instruments ranging from Agogo to Zither, you name it, it will be there. People will be able to create all manner of contraptions from individual parts and will be able to modify/choose different parts, build their own parts, choose or build their own materials, and change acoustic properties, and build any instrument you can think of...

...Imagine a giant 300-foot sandstone flute? Or a giant 1 mile high contrabass? Think about it, it'll be all possible!

But also remember that physical modelling is extremely processor intensive by comparison. I don't know if we'll get to 64 notes of polyphony by 2015 for very complex models, but at the very least physical modelling can also be used in hybrid forms with other technologies. You could build these imaginary instruments with PM and then "capture" aspects of articulation performance with samples to be used in sonic morphing. This "offline" process saves CPU cycles ahead of time.

Synful Orchestral also uses hybrid techniques, though with additive synthesis instead of PM. I really do think hybrid is the way to go.

However, I personally believe that one of the biggest missing keys right now is "Musician Modelling". I'll start another thread for that...

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Go Back to forum