• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What has GPO done for you?

What has GPO done for you?

I vaguely remember a couple of years ago doing a Google search to find a way of creating better demos.

I don't remember the details but GPO kept coming up as "the best thing since canned beer" and then I manage to convince Mrs N. that it was a suitable christmas present for 2003 - through playing her the many demos that were available.

Since then I have discovered a unique community of musicians who have a wealth of knowledge that they are all willing to share.

To my pleasant surprise, a lot are accomplished jazz musicians - something that I did not expect to find on what I considered to be a classical music (whatever that is) forum.

Another surprise to me has been the type of music that I have been creating and listening to since getting GPO. Whilst i have a background in "classical music", jazz has been "my bag" for the last decade or so, but I find myself now composing and arranging for typically orchestral instruments - albeit with "jazzy" harmonisation and approach.

The orchestration challenges that were initiated by Sean have in particular stimulated my creativity - and I have found working on these a pleasure and an inspiration.

I know that once JABB arrives, I will be hell bent on posting some impressive () jazz mock-ups, but I will always appreciate and incorporate what i have learned from GPO.

To sum up, I feel that GPO has given me:

1. A real feeling of community within an international mix of professional musicians and really great people
    2. A challenge to create the best music possible
    3. The desire to travel around the world to meet as many people off this forum as I can to share a beer, a chat, and to create some new music.

So, beware ! in 2006 Mr and Mrs N. will be globetrotting - no-one will be safe.

That includes you, Gary !
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Re: What has GPO done for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    3. The desire to travel around the world to meet as many people off this forum as I can to share a beer, a chat, and to create some new music.
    I am with you on that one Richard, we need an International Garritan Convention.
    My top 3 things.
    Love em all, from the sweet and mellow to the raucous and debauched.
    Unparalelled in my experinece.
    From the Experienced to the Newbie, the breadth of the work is astonishing.

My senior year of high school was winding down, and instead of working on my computer project every day in Independent Study, I was on the web, searching for this cool new thing I had just discovered called "soundfonts". After a few Googles, I came upon a pretty little forum with quite an interesting banner ad : "Now you can the grandeur of a complete symphony orchestra anywhere, anytime" !?! What was this thing . . . this 'GPO' as I've come to know it? I quickly clicked the link and began filling the school's computer with demos of the most beaufitul quality. I begged my parents "Mom, Dad, if you love, you'll give me $250 dollars to buy this GPO!" In their kindness, it was done, and I received the tool that changed my life!

That was about 1.5 years ago . . . since then I have :

1) Been able to impress family and friends
    2) Learned about the strange new world of 'sampling'
    3) Learned more about orchestration
    4) Met great new people/composers
    5) Learned more about orchestration
    6) Learned more about composition
    7) Learned more about orchestration
    8) Became happier in general
    9) Learned more about orchestration
    10) Became rich and famous (well, that's coming . . . )
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Garritan has given me opportunity to score as an orchestral composer without "training" my music to the limitations of a library. It has also allowed me to mix instruments like I did back in college, and helped me to bring back a great many audio engineering chops that I thought had been lost and forgotten to the ages. And most of all - the Garritan crew has provided a sense of extended family - of kindred spirits that love music and appreciate the power of technology. They truly have "struck a chord" (pun) with the right type of musician, and I'm proud to be a small part of such a merry band (pun 2).

Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

I have learnt, just like others here, an UNBELIEVEABLE amount having GPO.
    First, I never had used samples before, orchestrated and REALLY heard it back as it would sound. Oh, the list like others could just go on.
    It's opened a whole new world to me....it's given some of my works exposure that I never would have had the chance to do before. It's MOTIVATED me in a hundred ways to think....mmmm..."now, I wonder what that would sound like with those instruments..."...now I don't have to wonder any more, I can just do it.
    Gary's product has certainly changed my world, and I've forever grateful to him for his work in this area. It's also interesting to note, that I see others who own some of the more expensive libraries still using GPO - probably because of it's great ease of use. I am waiting,....or should I say, mentally pacing the floor like a father waiting for the news of the newborn baby, about this GPO/Sibelius program. I am always checking for news of GPOA, it really has done a lot more for people than I wonder that Gary ever expected it would do.
    Thanks to Gary and Tom and all of his co-workers for what you have done for us muso's with GPO.

Seeing as how this was started by 'Richard N', I'll answer, "Don't ask what GPO has done for you, ask what YOU can do for GPO..."

But in the meanwhile, I was able to compose while onboard an Alaskan cruise ship, something I never could have considered with Giga or VSL.

And I have learned a lot from the forum members about how to write for digital orchestra.
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Smile Re: What has GPO done for you?

GPO gave me:

- a great community of people.
    - a place where share almost everything you want.
    - a place where always find someone.
    - the possibility to orchestrate my score.
    - the possibility to share my emotions through the music.
    - a plenty of advises.
    - a lot of great people and composers.

As I have already said this has been a great step in my life so I have only to thanks Gary and his band!!!

GPO gave me the opportunity to create new plugins for users, which helped gain me exposure and acclaim in 4 international music tech magazines(!).

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Well, GPO has done lots of stuff for me.
    I've got the great comunity, amazing ability to hear what I write/arrange, the great cominuty, the great comunity, and...one more thing. Did I mention the great comunity?

Seriously, GPO has been one of those great things that's happened to me. I've learned SOOOO much from it about orchestration, arrangement, different orchestral textures and colors, and I even learned quite a bit about sampling and sequencing, too.

Thanks, Gary!

Quote Originally Posted by Markleford
    GPO gave me the opportunity to create new plugins for users, which helped gain me exposure and acclaim in 4 international music tech magazines(!).

- m
    And well deserved. Thanks.

For, GPO has made things possible.

Go Back to forum