• Register
  • Help

Topic: Greetings & Samples!

Share/Bookmark

Greetings & Samples!

Hello everyone

I've mainly been hiding out over at the Garritan Libraries forums, but I figured I may as well come introduce myself over on these forums as Game Music is one of my primary interests. It would make sense to contribute to some of the threads that pop up here.

I've been writing music for years and am currently in my second to last semester at Cornish College of the Arts in Seattle, WA majoring in composition. It's a bit of a transitional period for me, as I'm taking advantage of student discounts and a part-time job + freelance work to slowly build my personal studio in preparation for emerging into the professional world.

As well as writing music, I'm an avid gamer with a huge interest in approaching new and more interesting ways to music and sound in games. We've come a huge way from the stagnant bgm loops, and I think game music should be engaging as well as immersive. Some people compare the advancements to movies, but I actually disagree. It's true that game music is becoming more cinematic, but by following too closely in film's footsteps, there's a lot of traps to fall into as well. Such as, but not limited to: stylistic restraints (sound like _insert movie_!), overdramatization (epic adventure music... while you walk down the street?), etc. I hope that my knowledge of how games and the industry work will aid in getting some good gigs.

In any case, I look forward to meeting more of you and sharing tips of the trade

I recently put together a little sampler of a lot of different pieces into an approximately 5 minute clip, if you want to give it a listen. Feedback is always very welcome.

Leif's Sample Sampler

If you want to hear some of the pieces in full, they're all on my website which is linked in my signature text.

Regards,

Re: Greetings & Samples!

Glad to have you here Leif,

You sound like a VISIONARY!!!...heheh

It's a really good thing. Game audio needs some vision.

There are issues outside of the creative aspect that really hampers things.

Films are 2 hours long. Games are 10 to 20, up to even 80 hours long, and game developers can't really justify paying for more that 90-120 minutes worth of music. Compounding that is the need to dynamically change the score based on real-time events, that is if you'd like game music to have the same functions as film music.

Given this, the technological design of the music system becomes intricately entwined with the creative aspect of composition. The more that you can master both aspects and think creatively technically as well as musically, the more apt you'll be to tackle the concerns you mentioned.

This is just what I thought of when I read your post. So have you investigated the workings of Xact (now called Act), or ISACT?
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

OH Yeah, I liked your sampler. Good composition. I tend to frown on mixes like that though. I'd rather have a web page that let's me browse the entire pieces. (Chance Thomas has a mix like you do on the first track of his demo, but he also includes entire pieces).

Also, I realize this isn't really a demo you're going to submit for consideration, but if it were, I'd say you needed more suspense music in there.

You're off to a really good start man. Good Luck.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

Quote Originally Posted by His Frogness
    OH Yeah, I liked your sampler. Good composition. I tend to frown on mixes like that though. I'd rather have a web page that let's me browse the entire pieces. (Chance Thomas has a mix like you do on the first track of his demo, but he also includes entire pieces).

Also, I realize this isn't really a demo you're going to submit for consideration, but if it were, I'd say you needed more suspense music in there.

You're off to a really good start man. Good Luck.
    Thanks for the thoughts and feedback, Michael I mainly linked the sampler as a means to get a quick and dirty wash of various styles etc. I do have a website with full pieces on it as the main focus, which I mentioned in the post (though admittedly not as prominantly.)

Suspense! Definately something I forgot about including. I tried to keep a sort of arc to the intensity and vary the styles in a progressive way.

Regarding Xact/Act and ISACT, I've heard a lot about those technologies, but havn't actively looked into them yet. Is there any good resource you could point out?

Go Back to forum