• Register
  • Help

Topic: How much ram do I need?

Share/Bookmark

How much ram do I need?

My system has 512 sdram. Is this enough or is this too low? I am still trying to get rid of a few pops and clicks in my E/W Steinway B program and I have tried a lot of different solutions some of which have helped but not completely solved the problem. Will higher ram help solve this. Thanks for your help.

John

Re: How much ram do I need?

RAM will most likely not solve this. Since you can already load the libary, this is not the problem.

TEMPS,
    I agree with Simon. Post back what sound card you\'re using and what your IRQ setup is. (If you need instuction on how to do that let me know.)

Also, what is your hard drive configuration?

Cheers,
    Mark

I\'m almost sure that the problem is in my sound card. I am using the audiophila 2496 from midiman and I think that the xp driver needs to be updated (I have their most recent but I think there is a problem with it). The audiophile seems to have trouble switching from regular music to midi. If one is working perfectly the other has major clicks and pops. Does this make sense? Should I get a separate sound card to run midi? My hard drive config is...I have two 40 gig 7200 rpm dell hard drives both configured as masters on separate IDE cables. This seems to work pretty well except for the occasional pop. I think this pop is in the soundcard because there is no problem with the playback of my recordings even when I hear a pop in the performance. Just today I recorded a piece which turned out very well but after playing it back in windows media player and then going back to midi in gigastudio 96 I had a constant buzzing noise whenever I tried to play. I had to unplug the computer and reboot it to get rid of the sound. Any ideas on what to do next or if I need to add a second sound card which one I should add? Thanks in advance. John

In order to get rid of pops and clicks in my system, I have to pull the ol \"load memory full, unload most instruments, reload most instruments\" trick. It is a pain, but I only do it right before recording the final version.

TEMPS,
    I use the AP2496 also. I had major amounts of clicks and pops when the interrutps were set incorrectly. Again, if you want to take a look at your interupts and post them here, we could discuss that.

I went from 256 to 768 recently and got rid of the last few clicks using Trachtman, which was the only library I was having trouble with at 256.

Chhers,
    Mark

Go Back to forum