• Register
  • Help

Topic: Impulse Sampling at the Village Vanguard Today

Share/Bookmark

Impulse Sampling at the Village Vanguard Today

This Sunday afternoon I caught up if with Gary and his crew, audio engineer Jeff Brian, Jesse & D.D. too, at The Village Vanguard in NYC as they set up all their fancy high end audio equipment to record impulse responses of the historic club's interior.

A rare opportunity to capture the essence of this esteemed performance space which was founded many years before most of us were born, I watched as they quickly set up microphones at several sweet spots in the audience. Over the course of the sampling session, a very expensive self powered monitor was placed at several performance positions on the stage, to flood the club with measurement tones, which will later be analyzed to recreate the acoustic model of the place.

It took a little patience, as this is a living breathing space. Impulse sampling requires silence in the area you are working in. You want no sound except the the test tones which the process requires. Great care was made not to do the sampling while the natural sounds of a night club staff, preparing for an evening of activities, attempted to interfere with the process. The proprietor answering the phone, the bar back filling the ice boxes in the bar, the subway gently rumbling by somewhere underground, all had to be accounted for.

I felt honored to witness the Garritan Team in action, bringing the acoustic spaces of the world's great performance establishments to us. When I buy this future product, this 'patch' will have a special meaning for me.

Re: Impulse Sampling at the Village Vanguard Today

How very cool! What a great memory - especially for when you're recording future JABB 1.5 compositions (it IS too late to include, isn't it??? )

Thanks for the heads-up. This is something to look forward to.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Wow, that sounds like an incredible experience Thanks for the story!

Awesome. I wonder if they'll get to Small's and the Blue Note too?

chris.

I had the pleasure of being there, too, yesterday and of meeting Gary, Tom, Dynamix and company. I actually have a Podcast (D.D. Jackson's Living Jazz Podcast, http://ddjackson.com ) which I do as an extension of a bi-monthly column I write for the jazz magazine Down Beat ("Living Jazz"), and recorded interviews with both Tom and Gary which I'll probably put up within the next week or so... It was a real pleasure to meet the GPO gang and to discuss all this new stuff face to face, and to see some of the new technologies (including at the Vanguard) unfold in person!
    - robjohn (D.D. Jackson)

ummm.... wow. i had NO IDEA they went through all this detailed stuff. and to think the software only costs $250!

for those who have never had the privelage on being at the Vanguard, take it from the rest of us; the place is incredible. the history is tangible. you can feel it in the air. as you sit down at your table, the photographs of legends look down on you, saying "this is where greatness is made." and the sound is amazing. better than the Blue Note (which is quite good), or any other jazz club i've ever been to.

as a wide eyed 18 year old I moved to New York, and the Vanguard was one of the first places I went. even when the band isn't the best (which happens) simply being there is always a memorable experience.

can't wait for JABB! can't wait for JABB! can't wait for JABB!
    Nigam Shah

American Songbook Project
    www.nigam.biz/songbook

Hey Gary, Tom, Jeff, et al,

Glad the sampling went well! I hear Lorraine invited you to the Bill Charlap show later that evening, as well… hope you enjoyed it.

So cool that DD's interviewed you guys for his podcast! Definitely looking forward to listening to that.

Would have liked to see that.I live four blocks from the Vanguard but I have been spending most of the time in Long Island wine country. The Vanguard was one of my earliest exposures to live jazz after the 52nd street era. The village was a heady place in those days. Now it is mostly about gentrification and coop apartment prices and home improvement.

Ed

If I had been there, I might be like DpDan from that demo of his . . . "Wow, Gary, these are cool mics! Man, these are cool! . . . Oh, I'm sorry . . . oh, oops, no!!" And then every thing is wrecked.

It's great that you got to be there! It must have been quite an experience to watch the masters at work! Thanks for sharing your experience!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Thad
    I hear Lorraine invited you to the Bill Charlap show later that evening, as well… hope you enjoyed it.
    More than words can express! It was an utterly sublime evening of music with an audience that was knowledgeable, appropriately silent, and spontaneously enthusiastic. The Bill Charlap trio finished the set with a medley from Bernstein's West Side Story that was one of the most impressive and musically satisfying things I have ever witnessed - first rate players at the top of their game. Lorraine was simply a sweetheart in her graciousness and generosity. Wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Tom

Go Back to forum