• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Orch. Challenge 4 Entries!

Share/Bookmark

Orch. Challenge 4 Entries!

Alright, here are the seven entries. I'll contact Mr. Garritan to see if he can post a poll (I know he's been travelling a lot lately, so it might be a few days), but here are the links so you at least listen to the entries.

Entry #1
    Entry #2
    Entry #3
    Entry #4
    Entry #5
    Entry #6
    Entry #7

Whew, 7 entries! I know voting will be difficult!

Thanks to everyone who entered, and thanks again to Linda for her great theme!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: Orch. Challenge 4 Entries!

WOW!

How do you go about picking your favourite from these, they are all excellent!

This is indeed the best round yet.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

I must agree with Richard. They are all excellent.

I know how much hard work goes into it now. You all deserve a lot of credit.

Thanks again for the very kind words Sean!!!

Let the voting begin!!!!

WARNING - DO NOT LISTEN ON CHEAPY PC SPEAKERS! ;-)

Folks, do yourselves a favor and burn all these to CD and listen to them in the car or on a good stereo...WITH THE VOLUME CRANKED!

There's so much to hear in all of these...I've been thru the whole bunch 3 times now and I still don't know which is my favorite.

"...it's getting better all the tiiiiiiiiiime!"

;-)
    jim

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

I did not have time (and perhaps I'm not able) to orchestrate it, but IMHO the theme is not a modal G minor but a sweet and relaxed Bb Major.

First four bars could sound something like:

(1) Bb maj/A7/Cm7/Bdim7
    (2) Cm7/F9
    (3) Bb maj/D7
    (4) G7 etc

A soft tremolo in the high register and a clarinet, Humphrey Bogart, a smoky tavern, black and white, "Play it again, Sam", etc...

Am I wrong, Linda?

All of the entries are quite creative and at least two of them sound, to me, really good

Looking to the next contest!

Congrats to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinablu
    I did not have time (and perhaps I'm not able) to orchestrate it, but IMHO the theme is not a modal G minor but a sweet and relaxed Bb Major.

First four bars could sound something like:

(1) Bb maj/A7/Cm7/Bdim7
    (2) Cm7/F9
    (3) Bb maj/D7
    (4) G7 etc

A soft tremolo in the high register and a clarinet, Humphrey Bogart, a smoky tavern, black and white, "Play it again, Sam", etc...

Am I wrong, Linda?

All of the entries are quite creative and at least two of them sound, to me, really good

Looking to the next contest!

Congrats to all.

Hi Chinablu,

You are not wrong, and neither is anyone else. That's the beauty of this orchestration challenge. Everyone's creativity is welcome, so even though I had one set of chord changes in mind, everyone is going to come up with a unique reharmonization for the melody.

By the way, I almost did not submit my entry for Orchestration Challenge #3, because I did not have any confidence in my work. Very surprisingly, I ended up winning that round!!!!.....so make sure you give it a go next time...you never know what will happen!!!

Thanks for your input,

Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Linda
    You are not wrong, and neither is anyone else. That's the beauty of this orchestration challenge. Everyone's creativity is welcome, so even though I had one set of chord changes in mind, everyone is going to come up with a unique reharmonization for the melody.
    I agree 100%, of course.

I was confused, at first.

Initially, your theme suggested me too a modal G minor, and I really admire the talent of the musicians who submitted their works: I would never be able to orchestrate with such a richness of colours.

They are so creative! In a falling world, music is not yet dead, after all

I tried, instead, a very simple and old fashioned harmony, something like this (pardon my poor piano technique).

IMO this short piece could be nicely arranged for Garritan Big Band...

Hope to do something better in next contest

thank you,
    China.

I tried, instead, a very simple and old fashioned harmony, something like this (pardon my poor piano technique).

thank you,
    China.[/QUOTE]

Hi China,

That sounded good. Actually, hearing it on piano was a nice contrast to the string orchestrations.

You will never know what colors you can come up with if you don't experiment. Because of GPO, we have the full orchestra of colors right at our fingertips.

subtle bump
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Hmmmm. Can't pick one.

Steve

Go Back to forum