• Register
  • Help

Topic: How To Run VSL on a Mac Standalone?

Share/Bookmark

How To Run VSL on a Mac Standalone?

Does anyone know whether it is realistic to run VSL on a Mac, while doing all your sequencing and recording on a second Mac?

I have a G5 running LE, and a P4 running VSL/Giga. I am not a PC person and I have had my share of PC problems, enough to make me run screaming from the infernal device (no offense if you like 'em and know what you're doing...I don't). I'm a Mac person, and if this can be done, PLEASE explain how. I imagine it would involve running LOGIC, or some version of it, in some kind standalone manner that would allow VSL (and performance tool) to be loaded and triggered by the MIDI coming from the other Mac....

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks
    Tom

Re: How To Run VSL on a Mac Standalone?

In the VSL forum some guys have setup a second Mac for EXS. Maybe you also head over there and post your request in the EXS forum. I'd imagine you just send the Midi into Logic and have your instruments loaded there in the EXS. And out comes audio through the audio outputs...

Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear
    In the VSL forum some guys have setup a second Mac for EXS. Maybe you also head over there and post your request in the EXS forum. I'd imagine you just send the Midi into Logic and have your instruments loaded there in the EXS. And out comes audio through the audio outputs...

Hey thanks! Wanna buy a PC?

Tom,

Are you running a serious enough amount of tracks to even require a second G5?

No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to bring my single G5 down, it handles just about everything I throw at it.

BTW, Wed is a big day for Mac maniacs, new machines will be coming out.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Midphase,

Wow - what's your config? I wish i could say the same thing. (Granted, i always seem to have about 50 plugins going...)

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    Tom,

No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to bring my single G5 down, it handles just about everything I throw at it.

50 is probably pushing it, but 40 instances of EXS24, a couple of Space Designer plugs, and some misc. EQ here is there is doable on my G5 (2ghz) and I would think a faster G5 would manage even better.

Either Logic and EXS 24 are way more efficient than other seq/soft sampler set ups, or everyone else is running way more tracks than I've ever had a need to.
    >>Kays

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    Tom,

Well, I have a Dual 2 g. It's always half asleep, I can't seem to bother it~with Pro Tools, but...I don't want to do my audio in Logic, not after using PT for years. So that means two CPUS I suppose...

I guess so. PT is far from being efficient, especially with soft synths and samplers. On the plus side, the new PT 7 which is coming out next month should address the issue a bit with a more optimized code and better implementation for virtual instruments.
    >>Kays

Tom, I know several of our users running a dedicated Mac as a stand-alone "sample player". The main issue will be that you need a second, fully licensed version of Logic to do this (if Apple hasn't changed their policy). - No problem to install your Vienna Symphonic Library-Products on a second machine, BTW.

As PolarBear already suggest, you may want to ask in our EXS-Forum for more details, or mail to support(at)vsl.co.at.

All the best,

Hi Tom,

I'm also a Mac guy (since day one), and I also got 2 PCs for running Giga. My first PC was a Dell P4 1.7, running GS2.5. I have experienced almost no trouble at all with daily heavy uses. My new one is also a Dell, a P4 3.2, running GS3, and it's also running fine (no problem getting above 300 voices).

I think the key is (at least in my case): reinstall Windows (in order to get rid of the extra Dell stuff), buy good ram, get another hard disk for samples, get a reputable sound card (I use Layla 24), and never install something not needed and never go to to the internet. I never really mess with my PCs (I do that all the time on the macs though). So basically, I know very little about PCs but I have 2 PCs that are working very fine with the notorious Giga sampler.

Running VSL in another Mac to me seems a waste of resource because you have to license another Logic just to run only EXS.

Go Back to forum