• Register
  • Help

Topic: Please help - convert 3.0 casues crashes

Share/Bookmark

Please help - convert 3.0 casues crashes

I cannot believe I updated my gigs to 3.0 right in the middle of a film project

2 of the 3 giga PC's - no problem. But since the conversion - one the PC's crashes ONLY at the instant I hit a midi note on my controller (routed to that PC). This has happened 3 times.

Possibly a corrupted giga 3 copy (or gig file - how do I find that one??)

Can someone help me - I am dead in the water with a surly Director breathing down my neck.

If a fresh install of giga 3.x (Orhchestra) is best - could you give me some advice. I have a VM into Tascam - (all tech's are busy with 5 waiting on the line)....

Many thanks in advance for any help.
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Re: Please help - convert 3.0 casues crashes

Do you have the same libs on all computers? If so, just copy the drive contents over from one of the good ones and replace all.

I experienced crashes while converting, but only after I had had the gall to try to use multiple bit-rates in GS3 while using 16 bit audio in sonar. Kapoof!
    I don't know if this experience has anything in common with what's happening to you, but (I'm sure you done this...) at least make sure you restart fresh and run the conversion from within giga without anything loaded or any other apps running.

Good luck man-the s~~~storm came while I was under the gun, too. I feel for ya.

Belbin

Sorry...just re-read, and I see you've completed conversion.
    My story may still be relevant: Make sure that if you're mixing bitrates in giga, you're not making your system throw-up by using audio at a fixed rate in any other app. But for all I know that may be just a limitation of my particular audio card. POST YOUR SPECS!!!!
    Your system is obviously more complex than mine (and as this is presumeably a GS server, the audio app is probably a moot point), so I'm no more use.

Good luck,
    Belbin

Just had someone on VSL tell me the exact thing happened to them when they got a 'corrupted performance file' in Giga.

Tomorrow I'll rebuild this PC's performance file (for this cue) and try that out.

Other two PC's had converted thier gigas and no problems. I'll bet trashing this perf file and redoing it will be the answer. I'll let others know - may help you in the future.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Ed (others)

Well - it still reboots on midi data coming in to this PC (via keyboard or Host)????

I have been on hold with Tascam today 1 hr - finally left a message - no return calls from them.

Anyone have an idea here? Really feeling the pressure mounting for this project.

This PC has been trouble free and then all of the sudden these crashes.

Would a fresh install of Giga 3.12 help me here. Can someone give me a step by step for this (I hear it has to be unistalled and installed - registration - or I'll could have more problems.)

Thanks to anyone for helping me out here.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Rob,
    I see in more recent threads that you've already re-installed. Sorry, this is a little late, but here's your process, straight form the mouths of tascam (from a recent post) It seems to have worked for me.

REMOVE Antivirus and or Spy ware

Uninstall GIGA Studio - don't reboot
    to do this:
    Goto Start menu
    Select All Programs
    Select Tascam
    Select GigaStudio 3
    Select Uninstall GigaStudio 3.0

Run GigaClean - reboot,
    to do this:
    Load GS3 Application disc
    Go to explore CD
    Select Utility folder.

Optimize your computer with the following guide.
    http://www.musicxp.net/tuning_tips.php

Install GIGA 3.0 using your DVD

Go to our web site and update to version 3.10. (ed: now 3.12, but the process should be the same)(Re download, do not use any previously downloaded updates)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    Rob,
    I see in more recent threads that you've already re-installed. Sorry, this is a little late, but here's your process, straight form the mouths of tascam (from a recent post) It seems to have worked for me.

REMOVE Antivirus and or Spy ware

Uninstall GIGA Studio - don't reboot
    to do this:
    Goto Start menu
    Select All Programs
    Select Tascam
    Select GigaStudio 3
    Select Uninstall GigaStudio 3.0

Run GigaClean - reboot,
    to do this:
    Load GS3 Application disc
    Go to explore CD
    Select Utility folder.

Optimize your computer with the following guide.
    http://www.musicxp.net/tuning_tips.php

Install GIGA 3.0 using your DVD

Go to our web site and update to version 3.10. (ed: now 3.12, but the process should be the same)(Re download, do not use any previously downloaded updates)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Belbin

Hi Belbin,

Thanks for the step by step. Wish I had waited but I uninstalled and re-installed and seem to take OK. It turns out my problem may not be a corrupted copy of the software but rather all performances BEFORE my 3.0 conversion seem to casue the BSOD and rebooting.

Yesterday built new perf's (for this project) from scratch and didn't get a crash for the 30 mins I ran it. Will check again today.

Again thanks for your help.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Go Back to forum