• Register
  • Help

Topic: Phrygian Quartet

Phrygian Quartet

Hey all,

Here is a movment from the NEW string quartet I'm writing. This is in the phrygian mode, although it modulates to mixolydian at some point.

Tell me what you think!

Re: Phrygian Quartet

I like this... as always with string quartets I would like to see the score posted up here. Have you tried combining modes to create new scales? My first string quartet is Lydian/mixolydian I believe. (If you are intersted it can be heard on my website linked in my sig).

String quartets are a measuring stick of composers and I wish we could get a few more on this demo page.

Good job.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

thanks Jess.

The score can be seen here, if you have the Scorch Plugin.

Well done, Matt... enjoyed this deeply contemplative piece. That pizzicato section was a stroke of insight, too (I probably wouldn't have thought to do that) -- and the build into the forward mid-section of the piece was highly effective (perhaps because I just did not expect it?).

As I've said frequently, quieter pieces like this often don't get the attention they deserve.

I hope everyone will take a few minutes to listen to this one -- well written, well executed, and well worthwhile!

Thank you for it.

Good Stuff Matt.
    It is very hard to write for qtet, and very hard to get a convincing realisation using samples.You have succeded on both counts here.
    Nice to see the viola getting a star turn. I liked the fact that you explored the phrygian mode without being enslaved to it.
    The E Major section was a nice relief.I also enjoyed the poetical ending, handled with great surety.
    Nice job on the score, too. Admirable clarity. May I join the chorus requesting more qtets. Matt shows you can get a really good sound.

Hey guys,

thanks for the kind words. On the subject of more string quartets, I am writing another one in Dorian Mode, that sould be up soon.

Do any others have quartets lying around? Can never have too much inspiration!

Wine Country, Colorado

This is excellent quartet writing, a medium that demands mastery of all the elements of composition. It moves through a multitude of themematic treatments that keeps it alive and interesting. Will be looking for the next movement. Great work.
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Go Back to forum