• Register
  • Help

Topic: Too Many Crashes

Share/Bookmark

Too Many Crashes

I'm a TV composer with several shows on the air. I've owned two GigaStudios for a couple of years or so. I now have V.3 (Last updated in August '05).

I'm angry, fed up & frustrated. Either one or the other of my Gigas has been crashing every couple of weeks. It happened with V.2 & now it's happening with V.3. I'm losing $1,000's of dollars worth of work, and embarassing myself with my furious clients. This can't go on.

I'm working with midi/tech guys who have years of experience & who work for the top composers in LA. They say, "Well, that's Giga for you." I have
    several composer friends who use Gigastudios and they don't have these problems with the same frequency and severity that I do.

When I call Tascam itself, I'm put on endless hold, or told that the person I need to speak with is not in. Now I've heard that the Giga project manager
    at Tascam just quit.

I've been composing & recording for 40 years, on bona fide high profile projects. I'm a professional, well-respected in my field. I have a family to support. I get paid per minute of music, and these machines are really hanging me up and slowing me down. I feel like I have no recourse! Am I
    supposed to just accept this?

I've heard that Tascam tech support people read this forum. Will someone
    please help?!!!

Ralph Schuckett

Re: Too Many Crashes

I was in the same boat as you're in for the past 2 years.

About 2 months ago, I finally kicked giga to the curb and picked up Kontakt. I really wanted to stay committed to giga, but I now have no interest in switching back.

Giga was very frustrating...and i encountered the same problems on 3 different machines.

Kontakt is not without it's quirks, but at least I kissed the BSOD goodbye!

Hey Ralph,

Gigastudio can be very stable espacially if you run it on a dedicated pc.
    If you do so, the first thing would be to check if you have the 3.04 or 3.12 version.
    Then i would download prime 95 http://www.hardwareluxx.de/downloadg...45d832f027115c

to check you RAM. (in P 95 you find a feature called stre▀ test) In most cases the memory is the stre▀maker. After that you can send me a crash dump which you can find in C:\WINDOWS\minidump or simular (never had a crash on this pc).
    In this dump i can see the driver which is cousing the crash, probably a 3rd party software or a mididriver.

thats it.

the good thing with pc┤s compared to osx is that you can find errors very easy.
    Digital AudionetworX

Out of interest, what program do you need to read a minidump (.dmp) file?

DAX,
    I couldn't get your link to work. Try it here: http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by cmm
    Out of interest, what program do you need to read a minidump (.dmp) file?
    If your even at that point you've lost the battle. Those are useless to the endusers and only provide info on the state of the machine when it crashed.
    They may be useful to the programmers but usually aren't even helful to them.

I have GS 2.54 and it works well but all these constant threads of GS 3 crashing have kept me from upgrading to 3. And I won't upgrade until I start reading more positive threads. I know the usual thing some have no problems while most seem to. I also haven't invested in Kontact yet but may.
    I do like the fact that Giga can load and stream far more instruments than Kontact but it seems to come at the expense of stablity with GS3.
    Maybe GS4 will be better?

Cheers,
    JS

Don't automatically assume that Kontakt will be trouble free. The latest update was unusable for me and the original version 2 still causes some problems, whereas I have none at all with any of my three GS machines.

D

Quote Originally Posted by js33
    If your even at that point you've lost the battle. Those are useless to the endusers and only provide info on the state of the machine when it crashed.
    They may be useful to the programmers but usually aren't even helful to them.
    JS
    minidumbs are very easy to read. even if you have no idea you can read out what driver caused the problem very often and most of the time you dont need much more informations.

to read out minidumps you need windbg.exe just lok for a manual on how to install it and go to open crash dump in the menu.
    Digital AudionetworX

Quote Originally Posted by Delusion
    Yes, it's because Gigastudio acces directly in the kernel audio of Windows.

In next windows (Vista for exemple) , Tascam will have to reprogram from the beginning GSIF and Gigastudio.

I was a fan of Gigastudio 2/gigasampler. The DFD was a revolution

But Kontakt 2 is more open (user script) and powerfull

Regards,

Olivier

Quote Originally Posted by Delusion
    I just wish that I could say the same :>((

D

Go Back to forum